Help: What printer for Win95???

I just recently bought a new PC and am going to give my old Win 95 PC to my
sister who has none. I am sure that she would want a printer with it.

I had had printer problems before. A few years ago I was having some
problems with the print on my HP printer and was going to try replacing the
ink cartridges until I saw a Xerox in the store very cheap and decided to
buy the Xerox printer instead of the HP cartridges. The Xerox recently went
bad and I'm not sure if the HP would now work with new cartridges or not.

I had trouble finding a new color inkjet that would work with my old Win 95
PC. They need to have parallel port connectivity sine my old PC does not
support USB. I found some with parallel ports (I searched on Newegg), but
none had Win 95 drivers. Their specs all called for Win 98 or later. I did
find a great deal on a Samsung mono laser printer with LPT port and Win 95
driver and bought it as a temporary solution since I knew I was getting a
new PC soon and could buy any printer for it. I would like to keep the
Samsung as a backup. It has fantastic output and could be used for letters,
etc.

Does anyone know of any new color inkjets out there that will work with Win
95? She could get new cartridges for my old HP inkjet (they were still
available at last check), but if that didn't work she would be out the $$.
If no new printer will work with Win 95, she just might be getting a
computer that can't have a printer. L

Can someone please help me with this? Thanks.

(For a personal reply please remove all the capital letters after the @ in
my e-mail address.)

"Gary W. Boley" <GBoley@wNoOrSlPdAnMet.att.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know of any new color inkjets out there that will work with Win
>95? She could get new cartridges for my old HP inkjet (they were still
>available at last check), but if that didn't work she would be out the $$.
>If no new printer will work with Win 95, she just might be getting a
>computer that can't have a printer.

I doubt you'll find any new printers that come with Win95 drivers.
That's just too small a market for printer manufacturers to worry
about. And most new printers use a USB connection, not the parallel
port.

I'd check eBay, garage sales, whatever for older models. I have an HP
LaserJet IIIP that still works beautifully, and toner cartridges for
it are easy to get. Things like that should be available used.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

"Gary W. Boley" wrote

> I just recently bought a new PC and am going to give my old Win 95 PC to my
> sister who has none. I am sure that she would want a printer with it.
>
> Does anyone know of any new color inkjets out there that will work with
> Win 95? She could get new cartridges for my old HP inkjet (they were still
> available at last check), but if that didn't work she would be out the $$.

There should still be something out there... a year ago we got my sister's
Win95 machine a Canon i560 when her Epson burned out the print heads.
Parallel port, replaceable ink tanks and heads, and was on sale at the time
for $99 at BestBuy (Canada).

Any older HP would be fine. Everything you need is available at most stores
(toners, ink cartridges) so you shouldn't have too many problems supporting
it. Drivers are another story. I wouldn't recommend going to the store and
simply picking one off the shelf. Windows 95 is simply to old to be
supported anymore. Try eBay - you'll get the best selection but make sure
you are getting a working printer ;-)

Jacob "m3Rlin" Dybala

In article <Cn%Ze.321443$5N3.258448@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,