GeForce 6800GS+Radeon 200 Express....Will it work?

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
I have a Radeon x200 chipset.
I am really interested in the 6800GS.
I have looked into the 7800GT, but its requirements outpace what I'm able to do (I'm not spending $$ on another PSU...just bought one)
cause it needs more than 400watts.
The 6800GS seems to be what was missing from the shelves when I bought the X800XL.
It's kickin some serious butt -even the 16 pipe XL.

Are there any issiues with the Nvidia card and the 200chipset?
I realize I will still have ATI chipset drivers.
My decision rests on advice. (partially)

cleeve

Illustrious
You won't need Ati chipset drivers, you'll still use the Nvidia chipset drivers but the Ati Graphic Card driver.

And it will work fine.

Ati cards work on Nvidia mobos, and Nvidia cards work on Ati mobos.

If they didn't, they'd be cutting their own throats in the motherboard business...

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
OK.
I can see your point.
The XL does rage pretty good on GTA San Andreas
with frame limiter off and settings on high.
It was spitting out frames like fire.
The videos though.......
choppy.
There's more than likely a solution for that I just don't know what to set.
I can appreciate your statement
and Thanks!

cleeve

Illustrious
I am quite impressed. Overclocks really well, and I don't even have an aftermarket cooler on it yet.

It wasn't a monster upgrade from the 6800 Ultra I used to have as far as raw FPS, *but* Far Cry with HDR and AA at the same time is something to behold... and even with AA it runs faster than my Ultra did without AA and with HDR. HDR made my 6800 U crawl...

I look forward to seeing what the X1800 can do in Oblivion and other upcoming next-gen titles... it's been wonderful at high resolutions with lots of eye candy turned on.

And the Adaptive AA... antialiassing transparent textures like foliage and chain-link fences... wow, is that ever nice. Makes a HUGE difference in image quality. Yep, even though it's been regulated to last-gen since the x1900 was released, I am pleased with my purchase.

P.S. I doubt a 6800GS would beat your X800 XL stock. Overclocked maybe, but not stock... the X800 XL can stand toe-to-toe with the 6800 GT, and the 6800 GT is a bit better than the 6800 GS.