which Psu to buy

psnpavan

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
Hi Guys,
please advise me about a Power Supply Unit. I am looking for one that is efficient and saves money on the electric bill. I like it be 500 Watts or more Can you Guys recommend a cool Case too?
thanks in advance
pavan

rantonrave

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
Why are you worrying about efficiency while wanting at least 500W capacity? A power-hungry high-performance system with an 80-85%-efficient supply will still use more overall power than a slower system with a supply of low (60-70%) efficiency.

Very, very few computers ever consume anything close to 500W. Typical draw is less than half as much, meaning a 350-400W supply will almost always be more than sufficient, provided it's honestly rated, but many aren't. Some exceptions are Fortron, Antec, Zalman, Seasonic, and PC Power & Cooling, with Fortron being the best bargain among these and often remarkable value.

Switching to an LCD monitor will probably help cut energy consumption better than any other measure.

G

A cheap PSU can last a while or be Dead on arrival, An expensive one will most likely last a while but is expensive.

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
For a cheap and stable PSU, I would recommend the XG Vortec 600 Watt. I use it in my computer, it has a 37A +12v, all RAIL's are very stable, the PSU is only $100. I cannot comment on the efficiency as neither the website or newegg.com where I bought it displays it (probably says it on the unit, but I'm too lazy to look).

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time.

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
exceptions are Fortron, Antec, Zalman, Seasonic, and PC Power & Cooling, with Fortron being the best bargain among these and often remarkable value.

Switching to an LCD monitor will probably help cut energy consumption better than any other measure.

Whole heartly agree!

Newegg.com has great deals on Forton FSP AX500 for $91.00

RichPLS

Champion
FSP 600watt PSU is a beast, putting out as much power as some others 700watt PSU's.

I rate FSP 600watt ($140) and Antec TruePowerII 550watt ($90) PSU's as the baseline for quality PSU's, and are among the cheapest yet highest quality performance PSU's available.

Bad_Actor

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
The Seasonic S-12 600W has one of the highest efficiency ratings ever recorded by THG. It's a little pricey, but it will pay for itself in a year over a less efficient PSU. See the review. Got mine from Mwave.com for $127.00 shipped. :D