want to build server

nooby

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
im pretty much a noob to the ways of servers, i just built my first rig and i loved the process, now im interested in building my own server... the problem is i know baisicly nothing about servers and how they work, but i really want to learn. i want to build a server to mainly host counter strike source matches...

i hear actaully building the server is very simular to building a rig, but im really confused on the software and how it servers actually work and what they do... i was just wondering if anyone had any good, helpful links to any information on setting up your own personal server

thanx
Nooby

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
It's diffrent ball of wax and you must decide your budget, OS, bandwith, storage, and lastly, what the heck you need it for.

Sure its fun, but if you have no practical use for a server and just want to play and learn, find an old junker and work with Linux based freeware system(unless you have a copy of server 9x or something). Youll learn a whole lot, and there are a ton of sites, including this one, where there are people who can help.

kitchenshark

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I've built my own web/FTP/IRC server and have a bit of experience in this regard.

Here's the deal. When it REALLY comes down to it, what defines a server is the specialized software packages it runs. You don't need any special hardware at all. My server uses an old Gigabyte Via KT400 Ultra edition MB (don't remember the model # off the top of my head) An old XP 2Ghz chip that half the cache has failed on. (rendering it basically a 2Ghz Duron) And got 512mb of ram in it. All the rest of it is the software. Got Apache 2.0.5 running on it, PHP 4 plugged into Apache, Lite Serve for FTP, and some IRC server program I'm hosting for a friend.

One other important consideration is the OS. I'm using Server 2003, works TONS better than XP pro. XP pro would crash and do odd things 30-60 days 24-7 running. I've had Server 2003 upwards of 3 mos without problems. Linux is an even better choice............if you can get it configured. :/

Reign_Of_Chaos

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Agreed. I took an old Abit VP6 (had to replace the caps on it though), 2x 733Mhtz (OCd to 825) PentiumIII (Socket 370), 2x40GB HDDs, and 4x256 PC133 (1GB), and run winserver2k3 (awesome!). It does all my SQL,PHP,Apache,FTP (Awesome for ALP) services as well as host game servers for CoD, WTCW:ET, BF42, etc. Its all in the software. Back in the day, this board was touted as a top of the line gaming platform for the P3. Now its just a server :wink: