Sign in with
Your question

Biostar Bios update gone bad

Last response: in Motherboards
January 31, 2006 2:05:07 PM

I noticed that there was a bios update (NF4UA912.BF) available on the Biostar website. The instructions said that I had to make a bootable floppy, etc. I do not have a floppy drive, and most new computers don't either so I thought how are they going to get around that? So I made a bootable cd using Nero and but the awdflash and bios update on the cd. I did this and restarted the computer with the bootable cd with bios update in it. Everything was going swell. The bios flasher was running and doing its thing: deleting bios, flashing bios, etc. Then it went to programming bios. I stuttered for a second and the screen went blank. I thought that's ok, I'll just wait (after getting warned never to stop a bios update before it's done). Usually a bios update takes a minute or two so after about 10 minutes I figured either it's done or I screwed it up. I removed the cd and restarted. Nothing, the fan goes but that's about it. I would appreciate any help.
January 31, 2006 2:30:09 PM

For what mb?

(Generally, the replacement BIOS chips are rather expensive considering the relaively low cost of new mbs available...)

But, BIOS flashes 'gone bad' are generally not recoverable without changing the actual BIOS chip..

(assumed you've reset the BIOS reset switch, jumper?)

Are you beyond the timeframe where an RMA is possible on the mb? (I'd just 'forget' to mention the BIOS flash attempt!) :-)
January 31, 2006 3:11:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. The mobo is a NF4UL-A9. Unfortunately I've had it since last summer so no RMA for me. I've updated bios before (not with this mobo) with a number of other mobos and everything worked fine following directions (I also had a floppy drive back in those days). Seeing that it got as far as it did I assume that the method (w/bootable cd) might actually work and that there may be other contributing factors. Not to neccessarily bad-mouth Biostar, but it was a cheaper mobo and I only got it because I was running out of money when I put the computer together. Before I buy a new mobo I was hoping that maybe someone has a suggestion that may save the board before it gets the ol' heave ho.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2006 8:31:16 PM

mdd1963:
Quote:
But, BIOS flashes 'gone bad' are generally not recoverable without changing the actual BIOS chip.

How true...

Try Biostar tech support for help. You've got nothing to lose. Asking for a new chip is free.
January 31, 2006 8:47:18 PM

Thanks for the tip. I did send Biostar tech support a message describing my problem. I received a canned reply saying that I should only update bios using a floppy, as described in their instructions. Which is true, but I also figure that floppy drive-less pc have been on the market long enough that mobo companies should realize that someone shouldn't have to have a floppy drive just in case their bios needs updating. In the end it's my bad because I didn't follow their directions. What can you do?
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2006 9:24:55 PM

Sorry it didn't work out. I only mentioned it because Asus will (has) on occasion come thru with help. I was hoping Biostar would also (even tho their margins are slimmer). Even today I always include a floppy drive in my builds. They run $8-$12 and are good insurance. Both Asus and Intel bios upgrades often require a DOS based floppy, even though in some cases you can do a bios flash online! 8O Now there's a scary thought!
!