Sign in with
Your question

need help choosing a MotherBoard for AMD

Last response: in Motherboards
January 31, 2006 2:42:18 PM

Hello there
my choice for A CPU is AMD 3500+ Venice, can you guys please suggest me a good MotherBoard for about 100-150$??
my choice for now is MSI K82 NE04 FI ULTRA

So what your saying guys? is it a good MB or should i take abit better?
thanks
January 31, 2006 3:08:14 PM

anyone???
January 31, 2006 3:12:34 PM

Planning on overclocking?

If so, I'd look at an Asus or Epox variant.....(Even a recent review of a Jetway variant won fairly high praise from reviewers)

MSI is rather 'hit and miss' with it's OC success...,

but my own K8N Neo-4 (non Ultra, non-SLI, single GB port, just plain ole vanilla version) is utterly reliable at stock speeds, and up thru about 215 MHz FSB...
Related resources
January 31, 2006 3:13:26 PM

Oh, and I got mine for $89 at a local computer store, and it was not even on sale...it's decent mb for the money!
January 31, 2006 3:43:30 PM

not gonna OC it...
can you explain what is ULTRA and SLI?
and should i buy a better version of this MB?
January 31, 2006 4:02:38 PM

if you are planing on running only one graphics card then the nf4 ultra is the chipset you want . if you are planniong on runniong 2 nvidia graphics card the nf4 sli is the chipset you want. if you are planning on running 2 ati cards then a crossfire chipset is the one you want.

as in reagards to your question. there are many choices out the in regards to motherboards. Asus, and DFI are both good boards. the Epox are not so great. If you are looking to spend around $100 there are 3 choices.

1. a dfi infinity series w/ nf4 ultra chipset. this is a great board have built computers with the infinity series board.
2. a asus a8n-e with nf4ultra chipset
3. a asus a8n5x with nf4 chipset

now as to the one i would choose. I would look at the dfi boards. they have not as many issues as other boards do but all are great its up to you.
a b V Motherboard
January 31, 2006 8:21:49 PM

Handym3000:
Quote:
if you are planing on running only one graphics card then the nf4 ultra is the chipset you want . if you are planniong on runniong 2 nvidia graphics card the nf4 sli is the chipset you want. if you are planning on running 2 ati cards then a crossfire chipset is the one you want.

All true...
No point in the vanilla nF4 (no Ultra or SLI). These are the cheapest boards.
If you are NOT building a gaming machine, a board with the NVidia 6150 or Radeon Xpress integrated graphics chipset can make good sense.
A board that overclocks well is often a good choice for stock speeds since it tends to be stable and also will have especially good voltage regulation.

So...
How will you use this new build?
!