Sign in with
Your question

SATA Drives Are Gettig Wiped Out

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2006 8:32:30 PM

When I run System Suite 6 to defrag my system or Window Washer’s “Wash Free Space” they wipe out my 2 SATA drives, i.e., they “unformat” the drives. Don’t know if unformat is a word but after these programs run the drives are no longer formatted. These programs never wipe out my ATA drive. Of course I loses everything on the drives. The system is set up as follows:

MSI 865PE MOBO

HARD DDRIVES
Western Digital WDC 1200JB, which is ATA and has the OS installed on it.
Western Digital DC 1600JD, which is SATA
Seagate ST3200822AS, which is SATA.

I don’t think it’s the drives or the programs. The drives work fine and are always recognized. Just using them for storage. I don’t think it’s the programs, the SATAs are the only ones that get wiped out and have been using both programs for years and never a problem with ATA drives. I have the most recent BIOS and drivers installed.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how to correct it? The current solution isto not run the above 2 programs on the SATA drives. Thanks
January 31, 2006 8:49:08 PM

my 1st question is if this program has "unformatted" your drives in the past, why do you continue to use it?
2ndly.. why use the 'wash free space' option at all? ... what does it gain you?

as for the program - i dont know how old it is, but there could be some kindof incompatability with sata drives?
February 1, 2006 10:25:00 AM

1st, I only used each program once, quit using these features once I knew there was a problem.

2. When I buy a program I try their different features, why else buy a program?

I keep everything backed up on another machine and use the one in question for testing software among other things. My real concern is whether or not SATA drives are less stable, i.e., more vulnerable to these types of problems, sinse I don't have them with ATA drives. Both the MOBO and SATA drives are older generation and don't know if this is the problem. Probably should have phrased the issue more clearly.
Related resources
February 6, 2006 6:42:38 PM

I am having exactly the same problem as you. I have a new pair of Western Digital 250 Gig Caviar SE16 SATA drives that keep 'unformatting' themselves every once in a while. I am also using an Intel 865PE / ICH5 chipset with the latest BIOS update.

I am not using any of the applications that you mentioned.
February 6, 2006 7:17:57 PM

Quote:
I am having exactly the same problem as you. I have a new pair of Western Digital 250 Gig Caviar SE16 SATA drives that keep 'unformatting' themselves every once in a while. I am also using an Intel 865PE / ICH5 chipset with the latest BIOS update.

At least comforting to know it's not just me, misery loves company :D  . What MBO are you using? This has only happened twice with me. Using a Seagate 200GB for storage on another machine and never had a probelm, but have never used the two previously mentioned programs on that drive. Sure would like to know what the problem is, i.e., SATA drives in general or the 865PE MOBO. I'm guessing it's a driver problem, it usually is when hardware screws up.
March 5, 2006 9:39:16 PM

Quote:

These were the settings I was given by MSI to correct the problem. They said something about Native distributing resources better or something like that.

My current BIO settings:

ATA On Chip Config: Native
ATA Mode: SATA
PATA Keep Enabled: Yes
PATA Channel Selection: Both

The alternative that wouldn't work for me, Windows wouldn't boot:

ATA On Chip Config: Native
ATA Mode: PATA
SATA Keep Enabled: Yes
!