FS Global Terrain Mesh : 12 Gigabytes

Jim

Hi,

I intend to buy this to install on my FS 2004:

http://www.simpilot.com/php/detail.php?id=161

But would like your opinion because the price is not cheap and I
wouldn't make any error.

It seems it is the same that:

http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm

delivered for free but with different resolution. So what pixel <-->
meters can I get with both solutions (free and pay)? I mean am I going
to get a more accurate mesh and details when flying with the paying
version or is the free version similar and I should use this one?

Thanks for any info. :)

Jim.

HI Jim,

The free simviation mesh has large gaps throughout. It wasn't engineering
properly, but, well, it's free.

The FSGlobal has world-wide coverage but is not cheap, as you say.

Then there is World Extreme Landscapes coming from Abacus next month that
will have everything FSGlobal has plus significant portions of North America
done with four times the resolution and detail as FSGlobal for considerably
less. But with both you will wait for DVDs in the mail.

Or you can download the whole world here right now (payware):

http://www.fsgenesis.net

Justin

"Jim" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>

> I intend to buy this to install on my FS 2004:
>
> http://www.simpilot.com/php/detail.php?id=161
>

> But would like your opinion because the price is not cheap and I
> wouldn't make any error.
>
> It seems it is the same that:
>
> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>
> delivered for free but with different resolution. So what pixel <-->
> meters can I get with both solutions (free and pay)? I mean am I going
> to get a more accurate mesh and details when flying with the paying
> version or is the free version similar and I should use this one?
>
> Thanks for any info. :)
>

> Jim.

Arthur

Anyone here can correct me if I'm out of line here, but I would bet a nickel
that he could order the DVD's, have them delivered, installed perfectly and
running just fine, before he would ever finish tweaking the FSGenesis
software to the equivalent quality. I say this only from what I've learned
reading experiences from the tweakers on this NG. Go ahead people.....lay
it on me : )

Arthur

"FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> HI Jim,
>
> The free simviation mesh has large gaps throughout. It wasn't engineering
> properly, but, well, it's free.
>
> The FSGlobal has world-wide coverage but is not cheap, as you say.
>
> Then there is World Extreme Landscapes coming from Abacus next month that
> will have everything FSGlobal has plus significant portions of North
> America done with four times the resolution and detail as FSGlobal for
> considerably less. But with both you will wait for DVDs in the mail.
>
> Or you can download the whole world here right now (payware):
>
> http://www.fsgenesis.net
>
> Justin
>
> "Jim" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Hi,
>>

>> I intend to buy this to install on my FS 2004:
>>
>> http://www.simpilot.com/php/detail.php?id=161
>>

>> But would like your opinion because the price is not cheap and I
>> wouldn't make any error.
>>
>> It seems it is the same that:
>>
>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>>
>> delivered for free but with different resolution. So what pixel <-->
>> meters can I get with both solutions (free and pay)? I mean am I going
>> to get a more accurate mesh and details when flying with the paying
>> version or is the free version similar and I should use this one?
>>
>> Thanks for any info. :)
>>

>> Jim.

Hi Arthur,

Well, since there really isn't anything to "tweak," I'd say you'd owe me
nickel.

:)

Justin

"Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Anyone here can correct me if I'm out of line here, but I would bet a
> nickel that he could order the DVD's, have them delivered, installed
> perfectly and running just fine, before he would ever finish tweaking the
> FSGenesis software to the equivalent quality. I say this only from what
> I've learned reading experiences from the tweakers on this NG. Go ahead
> people.....lay it on me : )
>
> Arthur
>
> "FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> HI Jim,
>>
>> The free simviation mesh has large gaps throughout. It wasn't
>> engineering properly, but, well, it's free.
>>
>> The FSGlobal has world-wide coverage but is not cheap, as you say.
>>
>> Then there is World Extreme Landscapes coming from Abacus next month that
>> will have everything FSGlobal has plus significant portions of North
>> America done with four times the resolution and detail as FSGlobal for
>> considerably less. But with both you will wait for DVDs in the mail.
>>
>> Or you can download the whole world here right now (payware):
>>
>> http://www.fsgenesis.net
>>
>> Justin
>>
>> "Jim" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I intend to buy this to install on my FS 2004:
>>>
>>> http://www.simpilot.com/php/detail.php?id=161
>>>

>>> But would like your opinion because the price is not cheap and I
>>> wouldn't make any error.
>>>
>>> It seems it is the same that:
>>>
>>> http://www.simviation.com/fsdterrainsrtm.htm
>>>
>>> delivered for free but with different resolution. So what pixel <-->
>>> meters can I get with both solutions (free and pay)? I mean am I going
>>> to get a more accurate mesh and details when flying with the paying
>>> version or is the free version similar and I should use this one?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any info. :)
>>>

>>> Jim.

Arthur

I call this excerpt from your home page a 'tweak', Justin. One of a few:

FSGenesis Alaska has been completely overhauled to enhance precision with
Flight1's new Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska. Using the latest, best
available 60m NED data, Alaska now comes in both 76.4m and 38.2m versions.

A datum conversion error, which resulted in an erroneous offset in the old
versions, and nearly every other version currently available, freeware and
payware, has now been corrected, resulting in a high degree of precision and
enhancing compatibility with F1's Ultimate Terrain.

Users of the previous version of Alaska 76.4m Terrain may log into their
FSGenesis Store account and click Product Downloads to obtain their free
update. Galaxy-class members, as always, o­nly need log in and click
GalaxyXpress.

> Hi Arthur,
>
> Well, since there really isn't anything to "tweak," I'd say you'd owe me
> nickel.
>
> :)
>
> Justin
>
> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone here can correct me if I'm out of line here, but I would bet a
>> nickel that he could order the DVD's, have them delivered, installed
>> perfectly and running just fine, before he would ever finish tweaking the
>> FSGenesis software to the equivalent quality. I say this only from what
>> I've learned reading experiences from the tweakers on this NG. Go ahead
>> people.....lay it on me : )
>>
>> Arthur
>>
>> "FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>>> HI Jim,
>>>
>>> The free simviation mesh has large gaps throughout. It wasn't
>>> engineering properly, but, well, it's free.
>>>
>>> The FSGlobal has world-wide coverage but is not cheap, as you say.
>>>
>>> Then there is World Extreme Landscapes coming from Abacus next month
>>> that will have everything FSGlobal has plus significant portions of
>>> North America done with four times the resolution and detail as FSGlobal
>>> for considerably less. But with both you will wait for DVDs in the
>>> mail.
>>>
>>> Or you can download the whole world here right now (payware):
>>>
>>> http://www.fsgenesis.net
>>>
>>> Justin
>>>
>>> "Jim" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

Hi Arthur,

Yes, I do a lot of tweaking so the end user doesn't have to.

>I call this excerpt from your home page a 'tweak', Justin. One of a few:
>
> FSGenesis Alaska has been completely overhauled to enhance precision with
> Flight1's new Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska. Using the latest,
> best available 60m NED data, Alaska now comes in both 76.4m and 38.2m
> versions.
>
> A datum conversion error, which resulted in an erroneous offset in the old
> versions, and nearly every other version currently available, freeware and
> payware, has now been corrected, resulting in a high degree of precision
> and enhancing compatibility with F1's Ultimate Terrain.
>
> Users of the previous version of Alaska 76.4m Terrain may log into their
> FSGenesis Store account and click Product Downloads to obtain their free
> update. Galaxy-class members, as always, o­nly need log in and click
> GalaxyXpress.
>
> Arthur
>
> "FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> Hi Arthur,
>>
>> Well, since there really isn't anything to "tweak," I'd say you'd owe me
>> nickel.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Justin
>>
>> "Arthur" <alspectorz@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone here can correct me if I'm out of line here, but I would bet a
>>> nickel that he could order the DVD's, have them delivered, installed
>>> perfectly and running just fine, before he would ever finish tweaking
>>> the FSGenesis software to the equivalent quality. I say this only from
>>> what I've learned reading experiences from the tweakers on this NG. Go
>>> ahead people.....lay it on me : )
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>>
>>> "FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

In article <UY2dnZ4Xw_tqCcHfRVn-2Q@rogers.com>, alspectorz@rogers.com
says...
> I call this excerpt from your home page a 'tweak', Justin. One of a few:
>
> FSGenesis Alaska has been completely overhauled to enhance precision with
> Flight1's new Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska. Using the latest, best
> available 60m NED data, Alaska now comes in both 76.4m and 38.2m versions.
>
> A datum conversion error, which resulted in an erroneous offset in the old
> versions, and nearly every other version currently available, freeware and
> payware, has now been corrected, resulting in a high degree of precision and
> enhancing compatibility with F1's Ultimate Terrain.
>
> Users of the previous version of Alaska 76.4m Terrain may log into their
> FSGenesis Store account and click Product Downloads to obtain their free
> update. Galaxy-class members, as always, o­nly need log in and click
> GalaxyXpress.
>
> Arthur

Gee, most of us would call that releasing a new version of a product to
fix a bug.. Ie, a Good Thing, not a Bad Thing.

Maybe you know of a vendor who sells only perfect products and never has
to fix anything? Please let the rest of us know!!

Until then, responsive vendors who stand behind their products and fix
them when necessary is just fine with me.

/Chris

Arthur

At the end of the day, it's still tweaking. I've had my car recalled three
times by the manufacturer for tweaking and although I'm happy they
discovered their errors and fixed them, I was still pretty damn sore that
they screwed up in the first place.

Arthur

"Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message
> In article <UY2dnZ4Xw_tqCcHfRVn-2Q@rogers.com>, alspectorz@rogers.com
> says...
>> I call this excerpt from your home page a 'tweak', Justin. One of a few:
>>
>> FSGenesis Alaska has been completely overhauled to enhance precision with
>> Flight1's new Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska. Using the latest,
>> best
>> available 60m NED data, Alaska now comes in both 76.4m and 38.2m
>> versions.
>>
>> A datum conversion error, which resulted in an erroneous offset in the
>> old
>> versions, and nearly every other version currently available, freeware
>> and
>> payware, has now been corrected, resulting in a high degree of precision
>> and
>> enhancing compatibility with F1's Ultimate Terrain.
>>
>> Users of the previous version of Alaska 76.4m Terrain may log into their
>> FSGenesis Store account and click Product Downloads to obtain their free
>> update. Galaxy-class members, as always, o­nly need log in and click
>> GalaxyXpress.
>>
>> Arthur
>
> Gee, most of us would call that releasing a new version of a product to
> fix a bug.. Ie, a Good Thing, not a Bad Thing.
>
> Maybe you know of a vendor who sells only perfect products and never has
> to fix anything? Please let the rest of us know!!
>
> Until then, responsive vendors who stand behind their products and fix
> them when necessary is just fine with me.
>
> /Chris

Hi Arthur,

So we are to assume that you feel that new improvements and refinements in
new product versions are not a good thing?

Fact is, Alaska was originally released in 2001, and made from an older
dataset, and one of the first 76.4m terrain products to be released back
during the FS2000's heyday. Since then newer, more refined source data has
been released, source data far superior and refined compared to the current
state of the SRTM source data, so updating Alaska with this newer, better
source data has been long-planned and only made perfect sense.

So if you want to call a complete overhaul, built from scratch from the
latest, best available source data--data that wasn't even available when the
original version of the product came out-- tweaking, then so be it. But you
would be mistaken, IMO.

In the case of the "New" Alaska, it's the difference between getting your
old car repaired and buying a brand new one.

Thanks for reading

> At the end of the day, it's still tweaking. I've had my car recalled
> three times by the manufacturer for tweaking and although I'm happy they
> discovered their errors and fixed them, I was still pretty damn sore that
> they screwed up in the first place.
>
> Arthur
>
> "Chris Thomas" <CThomas@mminternet.com> wrote in message
>> In article <UY2dnZ4Xw_tqCcHfRVn-2Q@rogers.com>, alspectorz@rogers.com
>> says...
>>> I call this excerpt from your home page a 'tweak', Justin. One of a
>>> few:
>>>
>>> FSGenesis Alaska has been completely overhauled to enhance precision
>>> with
>>> Flight1's new Ultimate Terrain Canada & Alaska. Using the latest,
>>> best
>>> available 60m NED data, Alaska now comes in both 76.4m and 38.2m
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> A datum conversion error, which resulted in an erroneous offset in the
>>> old
>>> versions, and nearly every other version currently available, freeware
>>> and
>>> payware, has now been corrected, resulting in a high degree of precision
>>> and
>>> enhancing compatibility with F1's Ultimate Terrain.
>>>
>>> Users of the previous version of Alaska 76.4m Terrain may log into their
>>> FSGenesis Store account and click Product Downloads to obtain their free
>>> update. Galaxy-class members, as always, o­nly need log in and click
>>> GalaxyXpress.
>>>
>>> Arthur
>>
>> Gee, most of us would call that releasing a new version of a product to
>> fix a bug.. Ie, a Good Thing, not a Bad Thing.
>>
>> Maybe you know of a vendor who sells only perfect products and never has
>> to fix anything? Please let the rest of us know!!
>>
>> Until then, responsive vendors who stand behind their products and fix
>> them when necessary is just fine with me.
>>
>> /Chris

>In the case of the "New" Alaska, it's the difference between getting your
>old car repaired and buying a brand new one.

Justin,
Do the new Alaska files overlay your old ones - or do we have to
remove them manually.

(I know the FS scenery/mesh engine uses the highest reolution
automatically - but I'd like to free up the disk space if they're no
longer needed.)

Thanks,

-=tom=-

Hi Tom,

The installer will automatically delete any obsoleted files. But, depending
on your system and setup, there may be a possibility that it won't work as
designed. Good idea to run the installer, then double-check. There is a
list of files that are obsoleted in a note during the install.

Justin\FSG

"Tom Orle" <xspam.torle@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>In the case of the "New" Alaska, it's the difference between getting your
>>old car repaired and buying a brand new one.
>
> Justin,
> Do the new Alaska files overlay your old ones - or do we have to
> remove them manually.
>
> (I know the FS scenery/mesh engine uses the highest reolution
> automatically - but I'd like to free up the disk space if they're no
> longer needed.)
>
> Thanks,
>
> -=tom=-

Jim

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:19:04 GMT, "FSGenesis"
<justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote:

>Then there is World Extreme Landscapes coming from Abacus next month that
>will have everything FSGlobal has plus significant portions of North America
>done with four times the resolution and detail as FSGlobal for considerably
>less. But with both you will wait for DVDs in the mail.
>
>Or you can download the whole world here right now (payware):
>
>http://www.fsgenesis.net

Hi Justin

Thanks a lot for this valuable information. :)) It will save me some
money. :)

Jim.

HI Jim,

Heheh. You're welcome. :)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:44:00 GMT, FSGenesis wrote:

> In the case of the "New" Alaska, it's the difference between getting your
> old car repaired and buying a brand new one.

Actually Justin, it's more like getting your old car REPLACED with a brand
new one... ;)

Hi Bill,

yes, that too. :)

Justin