CF WiFi Cards and Windows Mobile 2003

September 15, 2004 1:36:01 AM

Hi,
I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870 Expansion
Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the Adapter
and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised. I have
located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't find a
Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..

Paul
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 1:36:02 AM

Paul,

Windows Mobile 2003 is based on Windows CE 4.0. CE 4.0 is the base OS that
the shell or GUI of WM2003 rides on.

If you download the CE 4.0 drivers, you should be good to go.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews

"Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870
> Expansion
> Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the Adapter
> and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
> Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised. I
> have
> located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't find
> Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..
>
> Paul

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 2:20:07 AM

Clinton,
Thanks.....I'll give it a go....

Paul

"Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote in
message news:emYBc7pmEHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Paul,
>
> Windows Mobile 2003 is based on Windows CE 4.0. CE 4.0 is the base OS
that
> the shell or GUI of WM2003 rides on.
>
> If you download the CE 4.0 drivers, you should be good to go.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> HPC:Factor
>
> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
> http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews
>
> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> > I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870
> > Expansion
> > Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the
Adapter
> > and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
> > Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised. I
> > have
> > located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't
find
> > Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..
> >
> > Paul

September 15, 2004 2:20:08 AM

Paul,

No problem. Be sure to post how things go for the benefit of others if you
don't mind.

Thanks,

--

news:o D3X%23CqmEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Clinton,
> Thanks.....I'll give it a go....
>

> Paul
>
> "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
> in
> message news:emYBc7pmEHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Paul,
>>
>> Windows Mobile 2003 is based on Windows CE 4.0. CE 4.0 is the base OS
> that
>> the shell or GUI of WM2003 rides on.
>>
>> If you download the CE 4.0 drivers, you should be good to go.
>>
>> Regards,
>>

>> --
>> Clinton Fitch
>> Editor
>> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
>> HPC:Factor
>>
>> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
>> http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews
>>
>> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Hi,
>> > I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870
>> > Expansion
>> > Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the
> Adapter
>> > and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
>> > Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised. I
>> > have
>> > located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't
> find
>> > Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..
>> >
>> > Paul

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:11:41 AM

Clinton,
I have installed the Windows CE 4.0 driver, and plugged the card in. It
still doesn't recognize it, and I am getting a message box telling me the
following:-
Cannot find 'WLANSTA' (or one of its components). etc.

message news:o TPhGFqmEHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Paul,
>
> No problem. Be sure to post how things go for the benefit of others if
you
> don't mind.
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Editor
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> HPC:Factor
>
> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
> http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews
>

> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o D3X%23CqmEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Clinton,
> > Thanks.....I'll give it a go....
> >

> > Paul
> >
> > "Clinton Fitch III" <newsgroups@NOSPAMMYTHANKIE.c3-technology.com> wrote
> > in
> > message news:emYBc7pmEHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> Paul,
> >>
> >> Windows Mobile 2003 is based on Windows CE 4.0. CE 4.0 is the base OS
> > that
> >> the shell or GUI of WM2003 rides on.
> >>
> >> If you download the CE 4.0 drivers, you should be good to go.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> >> --
> >> Clinton Fitch
> >> Editor
> >> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> >> HPC:Factor
> >>
> >> http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
> >> http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews
> >>
> >> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Adapter
> > find

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 2:09:15 PM

Paul, did you purchase in the UK?

I'm looking for a WiFi CF card for my iPAQ2210 but so far have drawn a
blank.

Steve

"Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870
Expansion
> Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the Adapter
> and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
> Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised. I
have
> located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't find
> Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..
>
> Paul

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 3:39:30 PM

Steve,
I bought it from eBay...(£23 in total ) and it is sourced from New York.

Works brilliantly in a CF Adapter plugged into the side of my laptop, but
isn't recognised
when I plug the same adapter complete with card into the expansion jacket on
my IPAG 3870.

I am contemplating reverting the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002 from Pocket PC2003.
I'll post my conclusions..

Paul

"StevePlym" <steve_turner@tesco.net> wrote in message
> Paul, did you purchase in the UK?
>
> I'm looking for a WiFi CF card for my iPAQ2210 but so far have drawn a
> blank.
>

> Steve
>
> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hi,
> > I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870
> Expansion
> > Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the
Adapter
> > and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
> > Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised. I
> have
> > located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't
find
> > Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..
> >
> > Paul

Anonymous
September 15, 2004 5:08:54 PM

Steve, Clinton,

I reverted the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002, and installed the WinCE 3.0 drivers
for my card, and now it is recognised.

Not sussed out how to connect pocket IE to it to browse the web, but I have
allocated an IP on my home network, and can ping it, so the infrastructure
is working.
IE says it can't see a network connection.

I'm going to try and Upgrade to 2003, and then try and load the Win CE4.0
drivers again to see if it works OK.

Paul

> Steve,
> I bought it from eBay...(£23 in total ) and it is sourced from New York.
>
> Works brilliantly in a CF Adapter plugged into the side of my laptop, but
> isn't recognised
> when I plug the same adapter complete with card into the expansion jacket
on
> my IPAG 3870.
>
> I am contemplating reverting the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002 from Pocket PC2003.
> I'll post my conclusions..
>
> Paul
>
> "StevePlym" <steve_turner@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > Paul, did you purchase in the UK?
> >
> > I'm looking for a WiFi CF card for my iPAQ2210 but so far have drawn a
> > blank.
> >

> > Steve
> >
> > "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Hi,
> > > I've just bought a Compact Flash WiFi Card to use in my Ipaq 3870
> > Expansion
> > > Jacket. It is an NL-2511CF Mercury Card. It works fine when in the
> Adapter
> > > and plugged into my Dell Laptop. (After I installed the WinXP
> > > Drivers)...When I plug it into the IPAQ's jacket it isn't recognised.
> > have
> > > located Windows CE 3.0 and Windows CE 4.0 Drivers for it, but can't
> find
> > > Mobile 2003 driver anywhere. Any help would be appreciated..
> > >
> > > Paul

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 12:22:15 PM

Well the upgrade was fine, but the Win CE 4.0 drivers for my CF WiFi card
don't work.
I've had to revert it back to 2002, and load the Win CE 3.0 drivers.

I can browse the net, get my e-mail etc, but I don't know how to sync via
WiFi

I've e-mailed the manufacture/reseller asking for a driver that will work
with 2003...
If I get any joy, I'll post here.

Paul

"Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o xdgG0xmEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Steve, Clinton,
>
> I reverted the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002, and installed the WinCE 3.0 drivers
> for my card, and now it is recognised.
>
> Not sussed out how to connect pocket IE to it to browse the web, but I
have
> allocated an IP on my home network, and can ping it, so the infrastructure
> is working.
> IE says it can't see a network connection.
>
> I'm going to try and Upgrade to 2003, and then try and load the Win CE4.0
> drivers again to see if it works OK.
>
> Paul
>

> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > Steve,
> > I bought it from eBay...(£23 in total ) and it is sourced from New York.
> >
> > Works brilliantly in a CF Adapter plugged into the side of my laptop,
but
> > isn't recognised
> > when I plug the same adapter complete with card into the expansion
jacket
> on
> > my IPAG 3870.
> >
> > I am contemplating reverting the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002 from Pocket
PC2003.
> > I'll post my conclusions..
> >
> > Paul
> >
> > "StevePlym" <steve_turner@tesco.net> wrote in message
> > > Paul, did you purchase in the UK?
> > >
> > > I'm looking for a WiFi CF card for my iPAQ2210 but so far have drawn a
> > > blank.
> > >

> > > Steve
> > >
> > > "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > news:o 5YoPqpmEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Expansion
> > Adapter
> > > have
> > find

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 4:24:19 PM

>I have installed the Windows CE 4.0 driver, and plugged the card in. It
>still doesn't recognize it, and I am getting a message box telling me the
>following:-
>Cannot find 'WLANSTA' (or one of its components). etc.
>
>Paul

Hi Paul,
I have the same CF wi-fi card (its made by Senao, but sold under various
brands, in the UK, eBuyer.com sell it as their own brand), and use it in my Ppc
2003 iPaq 2210.
However, I found that only the Senao CE3.0 driver works, oddly enough.

I also use Cirond Pocket WinC to help find the wi-fi connection. I've had some
problems getting the card to work, although this may have been down me and
wi-fi hotspot probs, not the card.

An important thing to remember when installing and removing these drivers is to
do a soft reset before and after adding and removing the programs. I found both
the Ce3.0 and 4.0 drivers hard to remove completely, but now have the Ce3.0
installed and working well.

I've also read that the wi-fi card works best if you do a soft reset when you
put it in the iPaq, a collegue at work suggesting that it 'clears' the CF slot
previous use setting. Hmmm?

When the card is searching, or not logged onto a network, the green led
flashes, going to a constant light when you are connected to a hotspot.

BTW, if you have a T-mobile (and possibly a Virgin mobile or BT Mobile phone
too) then if you text 'open' to 9526, you'll get a T-mobile Hotspot user name
and password, for access to any T-mobile hotspot (Starbucks...) which is billed
to your mobile monthly bill at £1.50 per 15mins access, pricey but convenient
for quick coffee access!

Andrew

replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers you
meet ;-)
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 12:46:30 AM

Well, at least you're making some progress - even if it does seem to be in
reverse!!

My iPAQ 2210 has slots for SD and CF and I'm wanting to get a WiFi CF card
but none of the usual UK suppliers seem to stock them!

Maplin are worse than useless and folk like DABS don't seem to advertise
them either.

Steve
> Well the upgrade was fine, but the Win CE 4.0 drivers for my CF WiFi card
> don't work.
> I've had to revert it back to 2002, and load the Win CE 3.0 drivers.
>
> I can browse the net, get my e-mail etc, but I don't know how to sync via
> WiFi
>
> I've e-mailed the manufacture/reseller asking for a driver that will work
> with 2003...
> If I get any joy, I'll post here.
>
> Paul
>
> "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:o xdgG0xmEHA.1904@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Steve, Clinton,
> >
> > I reverted the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002, and installed the WinCE 3.0
drivers
> > for my card, and now it is recognised.
> >
> > Not sussed out how to connect pocket IE to it to browse the web, but I
> have
> > allocated an IP on my home network, and can ping it, so the
infrastructure
> > is working.
> > IE says it can't see a network connection.
> >
> > I'm going to try and Upgrade to 2003, and then try and load the Win
CE4.0
> > drivers again to see if it works OK.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> > "Paul Bartlett" <director@kxlan.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Steve,
> > > I bought it from eBay...(£23 in total ) and it is sourced from New
York.

> > > Works brilliantly in a CF Adapter plugged into the side of my laptop,
> but
> > > isn't recognised
> > > when I plug the same adapter complete with card into the expansion
> jacket
> > on
> > > my IPAG 3870.
> > >
> > > I am contemplating reverting the IPAQ to Pocket PC2002 from Pocket
> PC2003.
> > > I'll post my conclusions..
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >
> > > "StevePlym" <steve_turner@tesco.net> wrote in message

> > > Adapter
> recognised.
> > > find

Anonymous
September 17, 2004 1:10:09 AM

Andrew,
You solved the problem for me...I hadn't tried installing the wince 3.0
drivers with Pocket PC 2003. (I assumed that WinCe 3.0 is for Pocket PC
2002, and WinCe 4.0 is for Pocket PC 2003!!)

Everything now works as it should...including my Tom Tom GPS which defiately
only recognises my Rikoline GPS receiver in Pocket PC 2003.

To sum up for other users benefit:-

If you are using a Senao CF wi-fi card with Pocket PC 2002 or Pocket PC
2003, use the WinCe 3.0 drivers for both....

THanks again Andrew.

"AJH400" <ajh400@aol.comkillspam> wrote in message
> >I have installed the Windows CE 4.0 driver, and plugged the card in. It
> >still doesn't recognize it, and I am getting a message box telling me the
> >following:-
> >Cannot find 'WLANSTA' (or one of its components). etc.
> >
> >Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
> I have the same CF wi-fi card (its made by Senao, but sold under various
> brands, in the UK, eBuyer.com sell it as their own brand), and use it in
my Ppc
> 2003 iPaq 2210.
> However, I found that only the Senao CE3.0 driver works, oddly enough.
>
> I also use Cirond Pocket WinC to help find the wi-fi connection. I've had
some
> problems getting the card to work, although this may have been down me and
> wi-fi hotspot probs, not the card.
>
> An important thing to remember when installing and removing these drivers
is to
> do a soft reset before and after adding and removing the programs. I found
both
> the Ce3.0 and 4.0 drivers hard to remove completely, but now have the
Ce3.0
> installed and working well.
>
> I've also read that the wi-fi card works best if you do a soft reset when
you
> put it in the iPaq, a collegue at work suggesting that it 'clears' the CF
slot
> previous use setting. Hmmm?
>
> When the card is searching, or not logged onto a network, the green led
> flashes, going to a constant light when you are connected to a hotspot.
>
> BTW, if you have a T-mobile (and possibly a Virgin mobile or BT Mobile
phone
> too) then if you text 'open' to 9526, you'll get a T-mobile Hotspot user
name
> and password, for access to any T-mobile hotspot (Starbucks...) which is
billed
> to your mobile monthly bill at £1.50 per 15mins access, pricey but
convenient
> for quick coffee access!
>

> Andrew
>

> replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers
you
> meet ;-)
September 17, 2004 8:42:27 AM

Dabs do CF WiFi cards, here is the quicklinx number for the first on
their list

24JMWS

Tsunami

--
Tsunami
"the geek shall inherit the earth"

>My iPAQ 2210 has slots for SD and CF and I'm wanting to get a WiFi CF card
>but none of the usual UK suppliers seem to stock them!

Hi Steve,
have you tried www.ebuyer.com? Based in Doncaster, they have their 'own
brand' CF wi-fi cards,for a mere £19.99 . . .

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=1...
hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=50919

works in my 2210, but use the CE3.00 drivers.
I'd also recommend Cirond's Pocket WinC software for easy wi-fi-ing

regards
Andrew

replying? delete killspam from @aol.com******** and shoot any spammers you
meet ;-)
Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:34:06 AM

>To sum up for other users benefit:-
>
>If you are using a Senao CF wi-fi card with Pocket PC 2002 or Pocket PC
>2003, use the WinCe 3.0 drivers for both....
>
>THanks again Andrew.

Well pleased to have helped, though I'm no expert and stumbled into finding the
solution, after much frustration!

I wonder why Senao's Ce4.00 drivers don't work??

!