Linksys befvp41 VPN networking with other brand routers

Does anyone know if Linksys VPN routers work with other brand routers?
I tried connecting to a linksys router using SMC and Netgear routers
with no luck. Both routers got passed phase 1 but choked on phase 2
with some PAYLOAD error reported by Linksys. Connecting to Linksys
using Windows IPSEC worked, however. Any ideas?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Linksys IPSEC routers will connect with Zywalls. I did it once.
Instructions are on the zyxel website.

Dave

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 07:16:06 -0400, Lake Mead <damit@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know if Linksys VPN routers work with other brand routers?
>I tried connecting to a linksys router using SMC and Netgear routers
>with no luck. Both routers got passed phase 1 but choked on phase 2
>with some PAYLOAD error reported by Linksys. Connecting to Linksys
>using Windows IPSEC worked, however. Any ideas?

They will work with anything that has the same compliancy. If you got
phase 1 to work, phase 2 will work but you may have to change some of
your specs in phase 2.

1.Make sure you have the latest firmware
2.Make sure your advanced settings match exactly what is on your SMC
or NETGEAR side.
3.Some VPN boxes don't like IP to subnet within the tunnel. Try whole
subnet to whole subnet.
4.Try MD5 on both sides or SHA on both sides
5.Try taking off PFS "Perfect Forward Secrecy"

I've connected Intel/HP/Shiva routers to BEFVP41. Also RV082 as well.
Sometimes it takes a bit of tweaking and looking at the logs and then
scouring newsgroups for the same error.

Good luck