IRQ conflict

davesbrain

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I have an IRQ conflict between my video card and my new ethernet card. Both are using IRQ 19. I occasionally get a little baloon by the taxkbar informing me that my LAN connection is bad. Its just a flicker, but anoying. I use the LAN for my DSL. Can I change one of these cards to use a different IRQ? I no longer use my dial up modem card, I figure I could just uninstall it in device manager and assign the IRQ that it presently uses to the new ethernet card. Can anyone tell me how to reasign an IRQ?
Thanks,
Dave

davesbrain

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I just did a clean install of XP pro on a two year old Emachines I am slowly upgrading. MB is a FIC (first international computer) AU 31, if that helps.
I believe the AU 31 is an OEM board, no infor on it on FIC's site.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Take a gander at your current IRQ assignments by going through the Device Mgr.

Open that puppy up then select VIEW from the toolbar menu and then click Resources by Type.

You will get a list of what device is using what IRQ. What is IRQ 21 on? If its free try using that one. You can change the number by going to the device properties=====then to resources==== the rest should easy to figure out.................. Oh yeah did I mention to prepare yourself for some possible crashing? Good luck.

davesbrain

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I just googled...came up with a response that in win200/xp, you can't change irq assignments like you could in 98. Looks like my only possible hope is to physically change card slots. Gonn try my modem removal, stick the lan card in that slot. Can't move the GX card, its AGP. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few minutes...

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
You can do i through the Bios on most mobos too. I can change mine though through windows? Strange, but let us know what comes of it.

davesbrain

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Took care of the problem. Uninstalled the dialup modem (It'll be a cold day before I use dialup again), switched the LAN card to the modem slot. Lan card picked up the IRQ assigned to that slot, I guess, 'cause the LAN is now using IRQ 16, just like the modem was. I kinda miss 98, you could relly have some fun with that OS.
As for changing in the BIOS, I kinda doubt it on this MB. what I can do in BIOS weems to be pretty limited, I'll betcha Emachines disabled a lot of features to keep folks from mucking things up. Gonna get a new MB eventually, so no big deal....
Thanks for all your replies
Dave