Sign in with
Your question

Help with which raid to use

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2006 1:03:19 AM

Hello everyone, First post here and I am seeking your knowlege about a raid setup for when I build my pc later this month. I was planning on getting (2) 150gb raptors and a 400gb caviar se16. The motherboard will be the Asus A8N32-sli-deluxe with a X2 4800+ proc. I was wanting to install my OS and games on one of the raptors and have the other raptor and 400gb caviar for storage. Ok, now this is where I need help, correct me if I am wrong, but would all my programs and games have to be installed on the drive that has the OS, what I mean is, after you installed them on that drive, could you move the files for the program to one of the storage drives or could the programs be installed from one of the other drives. I know that is a ultra-noobie question, but like I said, I have never dealt with raid. Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

More about : raid

February 1, 2006 1:55:32 AM

If you want pure performance and don't care about data security use RAID 0 ( striping ).

If you want reliability use RAID 1 ( mirroring ).

A word of caution RAID 0 is N times more likely to self-destruct. N = the number of drives in the array. So if you have 4 drives in the array it would be 4 times more likely to fail than a single drive. RAID 0 has no redundancy whatsoever.
Related resources
February 1, 2006 2:05:48 PM

Thanks for the link linux, that was helpful. I think I will go with raid 0 with the 2 raptors and just have the 400gb for storage. I back up everything quite often so I wouldnt worry about a drive failure anyway.
February 1, 2006 2:43:00 PM

Sounds good :-)

You might want to look into rsync, a free and open source differential backup tool which only copies files that have changed since your last backup.

Check it out :D 

http://samba.org/rsync/

Semper Fi Linux on!
February 1, 2006 3:07:52 PM

Quote:
Sounds good :-)

You might want to look into rsync, a free and open source differential backup tool which only copies files that have changed since your last backup.

Check it out :D 

http://samba.org/rsync/

Semper Fi Linux on!

Can you use a gz binary on a Windows machine?
February 1, 2006 3:11:42 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but would all my programs and games have to be installed on the drive that has the OS, what I mean is, after you installed them on that drive, could you move the files for the program to one of the storage drives or could the programs be installed from one of the other drives.

I believe your RAID question is answered, but in answer to this the answer is yes and no. You don't have to install your programs to the C:p rogram Files directory if you don't want. If you have two drives (not in RAID, one C: with OS and one D: for example) you could install the programs to the D: drive. You wouldn't be able to move the program's installation directory after installing it though. Well, it's technically possible but not just a simple cut and paste.
February 1, 2006 3:20:34 PM

Of course you can!!! :D 

.gz = gzip = GNU Zip not to be confused with winzip or pkzip.

GNU Zip works on virtually all operating systems including but not limited to Linux, BSD, all Unix operating systems, Mac, and all versions of windoze.

The same is true for bzip2 .bz .bz2 etc files.

gzip and bzip2 are just compression tools

Rsync itself can be compiled under any platform that can use GCC and the GNU build tools including windoze.

You can run virtually ALL GNU / Linux tools and utilities under windoze using cygwin as well if native win32 binaries are not available.

Check it out!

http://cygwin.com/
http://cygwin.com/setup.exe

GNU/Linux Rocks!
February 1, 2006 3:23:14 PM

YO redline

tHIS IS WHAT I DID

USED MY 2 WD RAPTORS ON RAID 0 CAUSE ITS THE FASTest
with windows xp plus they have 5 year warranties

then used the 3rd hard drive as a storage but also with the windows xp installed. because if my raptor got screwed up by a virus or windows craping out etc i could use my 3rd drive to boot up and be ok
i can also go to the bios and make the 3rd drive boot up first so then i could see all the drives and copy files over from 1 to another
i normally only have my raptors installed at 1 time if i needed to transfer files across i would just connect the 3rd drive with the cable and power plug which took only 30 seconds
ps games will not work by copying from 1 drive to another you have to installed them from scratch
February 1, 2006 3:33:52 PM

Quote:
Rsync itself can be compiled under any platform that can use GCC and the GNU build tools including windoze.

You can run virtually ALL GNU / Linux tools and utilities under windoze using cygwin as well if native win32 binaries are not available.

I knew that gz was just a compression algorithm. You Linux guys and your damned compiling! I'll try anything once though, twice if I like it.
February 4, 2006 10:57:28 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, you all answered all my questions and I really appreciate your help. It is good to have a place where so much knowlege is. Thanks again.
!