Flying an Ultralight from Nashville to Dallas - an essay

Last response: in Video Games
Share
April 13, 2005 2:07:03 AM

After telling boB it would be the Bataan Death March I decided to try it.
The flight was closer than I expected, just 490 NM - about 7.5 hours in the
Challenger II.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...

Ultralights are really a whole new way to fly; the whole trip was more like
a motorcycle ride than an airplane flight. The complete lack of navigation
and instrumentation added to this feeling.

The first rule is that you must keep the aircraft well below and clear of
the clouds as you can shorten your lifespan if you loose visual reference to
the ground in one of these things. This actually adds to the fun of the
flight as you get a very scenic ride during your long flights. The lack of
navigation instrumentation brings a new emphasis to "I follow railroads".

Would I own one? Probably not… If I'm going to take the plunge I'd like my
investment to be a form of transportation as well as fun.

As a form of transportation, in a headwind you could see the cars on the
highway passing you - cruise speed is about 60 knots. It is true that it
burns 3.5 gallons of fuel per hour and that works out to about 20 mpg - the
same as my car. The 10 gal tank's range is 2.9 hours or 171 nm. The
advantage would be lack of traffic and the ability to fly a straight line to
get there.

If Bill Lyon plugged in the right numbers, a Challenger can carry more that
a Cessna 152. If you fill the tanks and put in 2 male adults in a 152 you
can't take any luggage. The Challenger could carry 2 people and 70 pounds
of luggage. (If you had any place to put it.)

Some people fly them all the way up to Canada each year for a fly-in. That
really would be Bataan Death March. I broke my promise to myself in the
last 100 miles and used a sim rate of x2.

One big advantage: I thoughtlessly ran the tank dry within visual range of
my destination airport - a first. I landed in a farmer's backyard and
borrowed a gallon of fuel (I assume the Rotax runs on ordinary fuel) to
finish the trip.

Dallas
April 13, 2005 6:30:25 AM

Dallas wrote:
> After telling boB it would be the Bataan Death March I decided to try it.
> The flight was closer than I expected, just 490 NM - about 7.5 hours in the
> Challenger II.
>

> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screeni...
>

> Ultralights are really a whole new way to fly; the whole trip was more like
> a motorcycle ride than an airplane flight. The complete lack of navigation
> and instrumentation added to this feeling.

wow.... You are my hero...... As for the cars on the road passing you,
I know it well. My 2 seat Sprint cruised at 40 MPH. I hangared it at
Charping ( 5TA1 ) near the Temple airport. Following the roads at 50
feet or so you can see the people in the cars smiling and waving. There
were a couple paved county roads which were wire-free so doing off field
approaches to roads were part of the fun. The Challenger is faster and
would be a lot of fun flying cross country.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 13, 2005 3:18:16 PM

Dallas wrote:
> After telling boB it would be the Bataan Death March I decided to try
> it. The flight was closer than I expected, just 490 NM - about 7.5
> hours in the Challenger II.

7.5 hours and we get one measly screenie? Sheesh........

Looks fun though, may have to give it a go!

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:03:21 AM

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:07:03 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> Ultralights are really a whole new way to fly; the whole trip was more like
> a motorcycle ride than an airplane flight. The complete lack of navigation
> and instrumentation added to this feeling.

I'm thinking RL ultralight pilots use handheld GPS units.
Well...some of them might, depending on thelength of the flight.

This from the website http://www.uflyit.com/challeng.htm

Challenger Ultralight ($11,605)
EIS 2002 Package which monitors Tachometer, Dual CHT, Dual EGT, Volts,
Total Hours, Flight Timer (with alarm).

Basic Challenger II ($13,830)
EIS 2002 Package which monitors Tachometer, Dual CHT, Dual EGT, Volts,
Total Hours, Flight Timer (with alarm).

Moderate Challenger II ($14,778)
EIS2002 Custom Package which monitors Tachometer, Dual CHT, Dual EGT,
Volts, Total Hours, Flight Timer (with alarm), Fuel Level, Airspeed,
Altitude, Vertical Speed.

Advanced Challenger II ($16,133)
EIS2002 Custom Package which monitors Tachometer, Dual CHT, Dual EGT,
Volts, Total Hours, Flight Timer (with alarm), Fuel Level, Airspeed,
Altitude, Vertical Speed.

Waddaya mean "lack of instrumentation"? They all have more instrumentation
than the average car.

> I broke my promise to myself in the last 100 miles and used a sim rate of x2.

Close to dinnertime, was it? :-)

> One big advantage: I thoughtlessly ran the tank dry within visual range of
> my destination airport - a first. I landed in a farmer's backyard and
> borrowed a gallon of fuel (I assume the Rotax runs on ordinary fuel) to
> finish the trip.

You got lucky. It could have turned into an experience such as this:
"Get that dagblasted contraption off my land or I'll send ya home a
limpin'!"

--

Marcel
(You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)

"CRaSH"
> 7.5 hours and we get one measly screenie? Sheesh........

Hey, I thought about flying through Harrison, AR but at 60 knots that might
have added 12 more hours... :-)

Dallas
April 14, 2005 4:56:49 AM

"Marcel Kuijper"
> Advanced Challenger II ($16,133)
> EIS2002 Custom Package which monitors Tachometer, Dual CHT, Dual EGT,

For $ 4,000 more you can get a Cessna 152.

Dallas
April 14, 2005 4:58:58 AM

"Marcel Kuijper"
> You got lucky. It could have turned into an experience such as this:
> "Get that dagblasted contraption off my land or I'll send ya home a
> limpin'!"

Ya know for a wooden clog wearin' Canuck you've pretty much got Texas
figured out. :-)

Varmit
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:58:59 AM

Limpin' home? My family has been in Texas since 1857 and can tell you
that a real Texan would have pulled out his sidearm and threatened to send
him home in a box. Don't mess with Texas.

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>> You got lucky. It could have turned into an experience such as this:
>> "Get that dagblasted contraption off my land or I'll send ya home a
>> limpin'!"
>

> Ya know for a wooden clog wearin' Canuck you've pretty much got Texas
> figured out. :-)
>

> Varmit

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:09:50 AM

"Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in

> One big advantage: I thoughtlessly ran the tank dry within visual
> range of my destination airport - a first. I landed in a farmer's
> backyard and borrowed a gallon of fuel (I assume the Rotax runs on
> ordinary fuel) to finish the trip.

All of the Rotax engines I've seen have been two stroke that run on either
mixed gasoline or are oil injected. I have to admit that they've all been
snowmobile engines, but Googling a bit seems to validate that their
aircraft engines follow suit.

But certainly a farmer would also have mixed gasoline on hand for some of
his equipment, so you'd be safe either way. :-)
April 14, 2005 9:04:07 AM

Todd Aiken wrote:
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in
>

>>One big advantage: I thoughtlessly ran the tank dry within visual
>>range of my destination airport - a first. I landed in a farmer's
>>backyard and borrowed a gallon of fuel (I assume the Rotax runs on
>>ordinary fuel) to finish the trip.
>

> All of the Rotax engines I've seen have been two stroke that run on either
> mixed gasoline or are oil injected. I have to admit that they've all been
> snowmobile engines, but Googling a bit seems to validate that their
> aircraft engines follow suit.
>
> But certainly a farmer would also have mixed gasoline on hand for some of
> his equipment, so you'd be safe either way. :-)

My Sprint had a Rotax 503 2 cycle but I always carried spare oil behind
the seat. Went on a short cross country with a friend in his Sport II
and I shoulda' listened. He filled up at our last stop on the way home
and stupid me, thought I had enough. Before we even crossed I35 I knew
I wasn't going to make it. What a great revelation, the engine sputtered
and quit right there. Luckily we were over a "farmers" field and I just
autorotated in. I say that because it was exactly the feel of a
helicopter autorotation but without pulling pitch at touchdown. My
friend landed beside us and we borrowed a gallon of gas out of his
Sport. Since he had filled up, he had plenty. :(

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 14, 2005 9:52:27 AM

"Todd Aiken"
> All of the Rotax engines I've seen have been two stroke that run on either
> mixed gasoline or are oil injected.

I'll be damned.. you're right. I didn't know that.

503 Rotax engine specifications and technical data:
Two-cycle, two-cylinder engine, oil in fuel lubrication

For some reason I've always hated mixing oil with fuel. Reminds me of the
days I used to own a Merc 150 outboard engine.

Dallas
April 14, 2005 10:14:12 AM

"boB"
> What a great revelation, the engine sputtered
> and quit right there.

Ah... that makes me feel better... a real Ultralight pilot runs out of gas
too. :-)

Dallas
April 14, 2005 12:29:16 PM

Dallas wrote:

> "Todd Aiken"
>
>>All of the Rotax engines I've seen have been two stroke that run on either
>>mixed gasoline or are oil injected.
>

> I'll be damned.. you're right. I didn't know that.
>
> 503 Rotax engine specifications and technical data:
> Two-cycle, two-cylinder engine, oil in fuel lubrication
>
> For some reason I've always hated mixing oil with fuel. Reminds me of the
> days I used to own a Merc 150 outboard engine.
>
> Dallas

Yea, I have a couple cases of Amsoil synthetic 2 cycle oil in the
garage. I thought I could use it in the boat, until I remembered,
damn... no boat.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 14, 2005 12:31:04 PM

Dallas wrote:

> "boB"
>
>> What a great revelation, the engine sputtered
>>and quit right there.
>

> Ah... that makes me feel better... a real Ultralight pilot runs out of gas
> too. :-)
>

> Dallas

UMMM.. Don't let this out. I ran out of gas again on approach. Had a
new 10 gallon tank and didn't realize there was so much unusable fuel in
the bottom.

SHHHHHH

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 14, 2005 12:31:05 PM

boB wrote:
> UMMM.. Don't let this out. I ran out of gas again on approach.

And in what part of the house did you put the altar for the UAM?
[Ultralight Angel of Mercy]

<G>
April 14, 2005 1:29:23 PM

"boB"
>until I remembered,
> damn... no boat.

ROTFLMAO!!

KDFW
April 14, 2005 10:23:06 PM

CRaSH wrote:
> boB wrote:
>
>>UMMM.. Don't let this out. I ran out of gas again on approach.
>

> And in what part of the house did you put the altar for the UAM?
> [Ultralight Angel of Mercy]
>
> <G>

It was placed exactly 15 feet from the hanger door. I was forced to sing
a song to the dust devils before I could slide the hanger door open. :)

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 14, 2005 11:47:26 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:56:49 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>> Advanced Challenger II ($16,133)
>> EIS2002 Custom Package which monitors Tachometer, Dual CHT, Dual EGT,
>
> For $ 4,000 more you can get a Cessna 152.

In that case I'd definately go with the Cessna.
It looks more like an airplane anyway.

--

Marcel
(You've got clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?)
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:49:45 PM

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 00:58:58 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>> You got lucky. It could have turned into an experience such as this:
>> "Get that dagblasted contraption off my land or I'll send ya home a
>> limpin'!"
>

> Ya know for a wooden clog wearin' Canuck you've pretty much got Texas
> figured out. :-)

Well shucks...that's just about the nicest compliment you've ever given me!

--

Marcel
(Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.)

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:25:09 -0400, Trip Lane wrote:

> Limpin' home? My family has been in Texas since 1857 and can tell you
> that a real Texan would have pulled out his sidearm and threatened to send
> him home in a box.

I always thought Texans would shoot you once with a small caliber and send
you limping to the nearest saloon so you can think about what you were
trying to acomplish?

> Don't mess with Texas.

You have that stuck to your rear bumper, don't ya? :-)

--

Marcel
(If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)

Texans don't own small caliber handguns and won't waste whiskey on some
poor SOB who doesn't know what he's trying to do. And there is no need for
the bumper sticker - if the license plate doesn't get the message across
there isn't much more that can be said.

"Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:25:09 -0400, Trip Lane wrote:
>
>> Limpin' home? My family has been in Texas since 1857 and can tell
>> you
>> that a real Texan would have pulled out his sidearm and threatened to
>> send
>> him home in a box.
>
> I always thought Texans would shoot you once with a small caliber and send
> you limping to the nearest saloon so you can think about what you were
> trying to acomplish?
>

>> Don't mess with Texas.
>
> You have that stuck to your rear bumper, don't ya? :-)
>
> --
>
> Marcel
> (If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)
April 15, 2005 8:08:25 AM

"Trip Lane"
> Texans don't own small caliber handguns and won't waste whiskey on some
> poor SOB who doesn't know what he's trying to do.

Whereas all of this is right on, Texans give their six year olds a .22 and
expect them to graduate to a 300 Ultra Mag by the time they're eight.

But, the pioneer spirit of helping someone that lands in your backyard is
still alive and well here. Then they go out and get drunk Friday night and
get in a good fight. :-)

Dallas
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:35:28 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 22:25:09 -0400, "Trip Lane" <Trip@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Limpin' home? My family has been in Texas since 1857 and can tell you
>that a real Texan would have pulled out his sidearm and threatened to send
>him home in a box. Don't mess with Texas.

I thought texas were what a New Zealand worker pays to the government
each year!
April 17, 2005 10:04:00 PM

"Marcel Kuijper"
> I get it now! In stead of buying a $40.000 pick-up, one buys a plane.
> Too bad they cost twice as much here. (both the pick-ups and the planes)
> I mean for that alone I'd move to the US. I already had it planned once.

For some reason, it's hard to think of the USA as an inexpensive place to
live for us living here. But, I had dinner with a Scottish family on
vacation in Santa Fe and they were positively giddy about how cheap
everything is here. :-/

Why do you guys put up with it? You need to have a tax revolt.

Dallas
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:05:30 AM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:04:00 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> For some reason, it's hard to think of the USA as an inexpensive place to
> live for us living here. But, I had dinner with a Scottish family on
> vacation in Santa Fe and they were positively giddy about how cheap
> everything is here. :-/
>
> Why do you guys put up with it? You need to have a tax revolt.

Like our governments would care!

Did you know we (the Dutch) pay a standard tax of 19%?
No other country in the EU has a tax that high!
On top of that we have to pay extra tax to use our roads...PUBLIC roads!
Dog owners pay tax to own one (clean-up costs...yeah right!)

The only thing good we have is our medical plan.
If the US had that, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

I think the cheapest thing North America has is gasoline. For some reason
you fellas pay at least twice as less than we do. I for one would like to
know why that is.

--

Marcel
(Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)

I think the primary difference is because we have very little tax on
each gallon. Here's a recent breakdown for the average price of
generic-branded gasoline in the state of California. Note the very low tax
numbers.

March 7,
2005 March 14,
2005 March 21,
2005 March 28,
2005 April 4,
2005 April 11,
2005 April 18,
2005 April 15,
2005
Distribution Costs, Marketing Costs and Profits $0.08 $0.13 $0.07
$0.06 -$0.06 $0.22
Crude Oil Cost $1.19 $1.21 $1.26 $1.21 $1.28 $1.20
Refinery Cost and Profits $0.46 $0.45 $0.48 $0.60 $0.73 $0.65
State and Local Sales Tax $0.17 $0.17 $0.17 $0.18 $0.18 $0.19
State Excise Tax $0.18 $0.18 $0.18 $0.18 $0.18 $0.18
Federal Excise Tax $0.15 $0.15 $0.15 $0.15 $0.15 $0.15
Retail prices $2.23 $2.29 $2.31 $2.38 $2.46 $2.59

> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:04:00 GMT, Dallas wrote:
>
>> For some reason, it's hard to think of the USA as an inexpensive place to
>> live for us living here. But, I had dinner with a Scottish family on
>> vacation in Santa Fe and they were positively giddy about how cheap
>> everything is here. :-/
>>
>> Why do you guys put up with it? You need to have a tax revolt.
>
> Like our governments would care!
>
> Did you know we (the Dutch) pay a standard tax of 19%?
> No other country in the EU has a tax that high!
> On top of that we have to pay extra tax to use our roads...PUBLIC roads!
> Dog owners pay tax to own one (clean-up costs...yeah right!)
>
> The only thing good we have is our medical plan.
> If the US had that, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
>
> I think the cheapest thing North America has is gasoline. For some reason
> you fellas pay at least twice as less than we do. I for one would like to
> know why that is.
>
> --
>
> Marcel
> (Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:05:31 AM

Marcel Kuijper <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote:

>The only thing good we have is our medical plan.
>If the US had that, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
Then you'd probably like Canada.
Prices reasonaly close toUS but better medical all around.
For me it's too darn cold!

-=tom=-
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 12:05:32 AM

Well, that table turned out to be a real mess. Here's the data for 11
April:

Distribution Costs, Marketing Costs and Profits $0.07
Crude Oil Cost $1.20
Refinery Cost and Profits $0.80
State and Local Sales Tax $0.19
State Excise Tax $0.18
Federal Excise Tax $0.15
Retail price $2.59

"Trip Lane" <Trip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I think the primary difference is because we have very little tax on
> each gallon. Here's a recent breakdown for the average price of
> generic-branded gasoline in the state of California. Note the very low tax
> numbers.
>
> March 7,
> 2005 March 14,
> 2005 March 21,
> 2005 March 28,
> 2005 April 4,
> 2005 April 11,
> 2005 April 18,
> 2005 April 15,
> 2005
> Distribution Costs, Marketing Costs and Profits $0.08 $0.13 $0.07
> $0.06 -$0.06 $0.22
> Crude Oil Cost $1.19 $1.21 $1.26 $1.21 $1.28 $1.20
> Refinery Cost and Profits $0.46 $0.45 $0.48 $0.60 $0.73 $0.65
> State and Local Sales Tax $0.17 $0.17 $0.17 $0.18 $0.18 $0.19
> State Excise Tax $0.18 $0.18 $0.18 $0.18 $0.18 $0.18
> Federal Excise Tax $0.15 $0.15 $0.15 $0.15 $0.15 $0.15
> Retail prices $2.23 $2.29 $2.31 $2.38 $2.46 $2.59
>

> "Marcel Kuijper" <zoepetier_nothing_here@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:04:00 GMT, Dallas wrote:
>>
>>> For some reason, it's hard to think of the USA as an inexpensive place
>>> live for us living here. But, I had dinner with a Scottish family on
>>> vacation in Santa Fe and they were positively giddy about how cheap
>>> everything is here. :-/
>>>
>>> Why do you guys put up with it? You need to have a tax revolt.
>>
>> Like our governments would care!
>>
>> Did you know we (the Dutch) pay a standard tax of 19%?
>> No other country in the EU has a tax that high!
>> On top of that we have to pay extra tax to use our roads...PUBLIC roads!
>> Dog owners pay tax to own one (clean-up costs...yeah right!)
>>
>> The only thing good we have is our medical plan.
>> If the US had that, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.
>>
>> I think the cheapest thing North America has is gasoline. For some reason
>> you fellas pay at least twice as less than we do. I for one would like to
>> know why that is.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Marcel
>> (Any landing you walk away from wasn't one of Melissa's! <g>)

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 7:23:20 AM

Tom Orle wrote:

> Marcel Kuijper wrote:
>
> >The only thing good we have is our medical plan.
> >If the US had that, I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

> Then you'd probably like Canada.
> Prices reasonaly close toUS but better medical all around.
> For me it's too darn cold!

I know...I grew up there. And if it wasn't for the low number of jobs in
BC (and I think Alberta too) I'd go back.

I loved the cold! (my town was sort of in a valley! <g>)

Marcel
April 18, 2005 9:27:06 AM

"Marcel Kuijper"
> Did you know we (the Dutch) pay a standard tax of 19%?

Is that a sales tax rate on top of an income tax? In the US the government
gets most of their money up front.

> Dog owners pay tax to own one (clean-up costs...yeah right!)

I love that... that's a "users tax".. I don't have any children but I still
have to pay school taxes. How is that fair?

> The only thing good we have is our medical plan.

Yeah, we could have one too... but in the US we choose to have a really neat
military instead.

Dallas
April 18, 2005 10:08:27 AM

Dallas wrote:

> Yeah, we could have one too... but in the US we choose to have a really neat
> military instead.
>
> Dallas

Actually it's not the really neat military, it's what they're made to do.

--

boB

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
April 18, 2005 10:57:51 PM

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 05:27:06 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> "Marcel Kuijper"
>> Did you know we (the Dutch) pay a standard tax of 19%?
> Is that a sales tax rate on top of an income tax?

Yes sir.

>> Dog owners pay tax to own one (clean-up costs...yeah right!)
> I love that... that's a "users tax".. I don't have any children but I still
> have to pay school taxes. How is that fair?

It isn't. Write to your congressman.

>> The only thing good we have is our medical plan.
> Yeah, we could have one too... but in the US we choose to have a really neat
> military instead.

I'm glad you brought that up, so I wouldn't have to.
If there's one thing I've learned here over the years is to keep my opinion
to myself regarding the US military. There are too many retired militarymen
in this group and I already offended one once.

--

!