rundll32 printui,PrintUIEntry with SP2

Archived from groups: alt.msdos.batch.nt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

Has anyone tested XP Service Pack 2 with rundll32 printui,PrintUIEntry for
scripting printer installs? Have there been any problems?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about rundll32 printui printuientry
  1. Archived from groups: alt.msdos.batch.nt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

    Yes - tested; No - no problems, with appropriate Windows Firewall settings.

    Are you encountering a specific issue, or is this a general question?

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in

    > Yes - tested; No - no problems, with appropriate Windows Firewall
    > settings.
    >
    > Are you encountering a specific issue, or is this a general question?

    I couldn't get PrintUIEntry to work during my first try ever to use it and
    unfortunatley, I was trying on SP2 so I thought (hoped?) maybe that was the
    problem.

    I've tried adding a network printer to a single user account as well as
    globally to every user and both failed. I can get the PRINTUI command to
    set the default printer, print a test page, and open the queue (opening the
    queue only working from the command line, not a batch job).

    Running the following to add the printer for a single user:

    RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /n\\server\printqueue

    gave the error message, "Operation could not be completed". I can add the
    printer through the add printer wizard.

    Running the following to add the printer globally,

    RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\server\printqueue

    gave the error message "unable to add the per machine printer connection.
    Access is denied". I was running this command from a user domain account
    with only user privileges.

    I'm concerned that network authentication may be involved. That's part of
    the reason why, in another thread you responded to, I asked about disabling
    authentication for print queues.

    I appreciate any suggestions.

    Thanks.

    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >
    > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong
    > question.
    >

    > "DLN" <dln@dln.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone tested XP Service Pack 2 with rundll32
    >> printui,PrintUIEntry for scripting printer installs? Have there been
    >> any problems?
    >>
    >> Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.win2000.printing (More info?)

    To use the /ga function, you need to have administrative rights and
    permissions on the computer that you are adding the printer to globally.
    This could be the computer you are logged on to, or a different one
    specified with the /c parameter.

    See http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm.

    Unfortunately, the documentation for the PrintUIEntry functions is not as
    useful as it could be. Also, the error/diagnostic messages tend to be very
    generic and not too helpful - they tell you something is not right, but give
    little help about what that something is.

    If you are logged on as a "User" and want to issue this command, you can
    open a Command Prompt as an administrator using the Run As feature.

    hold down the Shift key
    right click on the shortcut to the Command Prompt
    select Run As...
    select the "The following user:" radio button
    key the username and password for a user account that is an administrator on
    the computer

    --

    > "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in
    >
    >> Yes - tested; No - no problems, with appropriate Windows Firewall
    >> settings.
    >>
    >> Are you encountering a specific issue, or is this a general question?
    >
    > I couldn't get PrintUIEntry to work during my first try ever to use it and
    > unfortunatley, I was trying on SP2 so I thought (hoped?) maybe that was
    > the
    > problem.
    >
    > I've tried adding a network printer to a single user account as well as
    > globally to every user and both failed. I can get the PRINTUI command to
    > set the default printer, print a test page, and open the queue (opening
    > the
    > queue only working from the command line, not a batch job).
    >
    > Running the following to add the printer for a single user:
    >
    > RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /n\\server\printqueue
    >
    > gave the error message, "Operation could not be completed". I can add the
    > printer through the add printer wizard.
    >
    > Running the following to add the printer globally,
    >
    > RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry /ga /n\\server\printqueue
    >
    > gave the error message "unable to add the per machine printer connection.
    > Access is denied". I was running this command from a user domain account
    > with only user privileges.
    >
    > I'm concerned that network authentication may be involved. That's part of
    > the reason why, in another thread you responded to, I asked about
    > disabling
    > authentication for print queues.
    >
    > I appreciate any suggestions.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    >> --
    >> Bruce Sanderson MVP
    >>
    >> It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong
    >> question.
    >>

    >> "DLN" <dln@dln.invalid> wrote in message
    >>> Has anyone tested XP Service Pack 2 with rundll32
    >>> printui,PrintUIEntry for scripting printer installs? Have there been
    >>> any problems?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    Hi guys.

    You seem to know quite some things about this topic.

    Can you tell me (or guide me to a place to read...) about a way to
    incorporate a username and password in a script using this :
    RUNDLL32 PRINTUI.DLL,PrintUIEntry [ options ] [ @commandfile ]

    /Kenneth - p@rtyman.dk

    --
    kan

Windows XP Rundll32 MS-DOS Microsoft Printers