Dimension 3100 with sound problem

NateKingCole

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003
My work computer a dell dimension 3100 won't play any sound of any kind, only the lame internal speaker whenever it throws me an error or something. I don't really wan't to open it up since it's not my place but if there's something simple i can do i'll do it, or if not steer the tech guy in the right dirrection.
I download the sound drivers of dell's website, nothing. It's an intel 915gv chipset. Everytime I try and play an audio file it tells me there was an error with the direct audio.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Tron014

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
when you down loaded the drivers where did you put them, I hope you put them in your documents, and are you unning Xp. if so copy them to disc. before yu do anything.

try uninstalling the driver first, hit start button then go to control panel select add remove programs when that has loaded look for the sound card drivers, click on the driver it will then ask you to remove click yes, once that is done reboot the computer, when the computer reboots it should tell you that it has found new hardware, click cancel so that it says new hardware has a problem.

Then you can go start buton look for setting control panel click on it
and look for SYSTEM click on that icon so that it opens then look for hardware then click device manager

all the system information you should see an icon with a yellow question mark beside it, (sound card) right click on the icon and it will then ask you what you want to do,

click update driver, you should then get another screen saying welcome to hardware wizard look at the bottom and click NO NOT THIS TIME THEN CLICK NEXT

next screen click advanced then it will show you harware update wizard tick both boxes it should then find the drivers and install them.

TRENDING THREADS