Cisco VPN - Connection Manager failed to respond

swami

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

I'm using Cisco VPN client on a Win2K pro laptop. I had no problems
with it until I installed Zone Alarm firewall. First my laptop would
not boot up. So I had to get into the safe mode of Win2k and uninstall
Zone Alarm (Then I installed Sysgate and I have uninstalled that also
now).

Ever since that I have had problems with Cisco VPN. It connects with
my userName/passwd fine. But when I try to access one of my company
internal apps, it sits there forever and after 5 minutes or so, I get
the error message,

System Error: Connection Manager failed to respond.

This is consistently happening with dial-up, LAN and Wireless LAN
connections. I have tried changing the MTU size to 1200 and 1300. All
have failed. Has anyone come across the same problem? Any fixes?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Archived from groups: comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.dcom.sys.cisco,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

> I'm using Cisco VPN client on a Win2K pro laptop. I had no problems
> with it until I installed Zone Alarm firewall. First my laptop would
> not boot up. So I had to get into the safe mode of Win2k and uninstall
>
> Ever since that I have had problems with Cisco VPN. It connects with

I have yet to track down the cause (we have a pretty standard load, so I
just blew a new image to the machines) but I can confirm that everytime zone
alarm has been installed (either before or after the cisco vpn client) we
have had problems with that machine getting on the VPN. This seems to be a
consistent problem with most sofware based firewalls. Wish I knew a quick
fix, but I have just reloaded (well reimaged) every time this has happened.

As you stated, uninstalling the offending program does not help. My guesses
are either a bad registry key or a .dll that got replaced. One of these
days I may track it down. I haven't looked recently, but cisco doesn't seem
to have anything on their website about it (and they usually seem to have
good info on problems of this level).

Latest posts