Sign in with
Your question

Second SATAII HD Not showing in XP.

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2006 6:18:33 AM

Ok, so I just built my new computer and finally got it running (see all the info in my signature for the specs on it). I formatted the primary SATAII HD, installed XP and had to run to work.

So I came home tonight and planned on formatting the second SATAII HD, but I can't find it in XP Pro. I checked under control panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Manaagement > Disk Management.

Under that I see Disk 0 and Disk 1 (along with my Optical Drives). Disk 0 shows a "Primary Partition" and is labeled the "C:" Drive. Disk 1 is shown as unallocated and is not assigned a drive letter.

When I right click on Disk 1 the only options I get are, "Convert to Dynamic Disk," "Properties," and "Help."

I thought there would be a format option or something and there isn't... The drive is also not showing up in explorer (which is why I went through admin tools).

Does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks, all. :) 

PS The drive IS showing in BIOS.

More about : sataii showing

February 1, 2006 7:35:08 AM

It would help if you gave the brand/model of your HDD. I can say, though, that XP dosen't do very well "out of the box" with SATA drives. I'd check the website of your drive's manufacturer and see if they've got some kind of utility you can download.
a b G Storage
February 1, 2006 9:20:32 AM

right click on the unalocated (black?) section on the right and create patition (if my memory serves me right)
Related resources
February 1, 2006 2:58:58 PM

Correct.

Windows won't show or recognize untill you format the drive.

From start menu= My computer- Right click- and choose manage.

Then chose storage and format your drive with a partition and NTFS file system.
February 1, 2006 3:15:32 PM

That's the problem. There is no option to Format. The only real option is "Convert to Dynamic Disk."

Quote:
Correct.

Windows won't show or recognize untill you format the drive.

From start menu= My computer- Right click- and choose manage.

Then chose storage and format your drive with a partition and NTFS file system.
February 1, 2006 3:30:36 PM

Go ahead and convert and format it- see what happens.

make sure you don't have any info on those drives you can't lose first.

I would double check your bios to make sure the drives are showing there correctly first.

Then- you might want to hit the MFG site and install the RAID drivers and such.

I am sure windows does not reckonize the drives, or the array becuase it lacks the drivers. Run the install CD, or download the driver package and windows should detect your new hardware and allow you to format, partition and make active the drives.
February 1, 2006 5:37:24 PM

Thanks, I figured it out... I had to use the "Convert to Dynamic Disk" option, then "Partition," then I could format it.

Never had that happen before, usually I can just format it immediately... Thanks, all.
a b G Storage
February 2, 2006 2:06:36 AM

yeah, instead of right clicking on the left the drive, right click the patition (or lack of in black) on the right and do new patition or format or change/assign drive letter.

otherwise you might have had to initialise

ah well, its workin now
!