Sign in with
Your question

SATA HD not detected in BIOS

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2006 8:59:17 AM

I 've been using two Maxtor SATA HD 120 go as simple IDE HD,
detected in bios as MASTER SATA IDE HARD DISK, with an Asus P5WD2 Mob. workin with win xp all right.

I've decided to try a RAID 0 config, set in the bios, SATA configured as RAID , and created a RAID 0 config in the utility provided in bios as described in the manual.

the problem is that the bios does not detect the HDs anymore ( when SATA set as RAID), win xp does not detect either the HDs with that setting.

I've opened the case, and found out that there are no jumpers in both maxtor hd
could be this the problem ?
do i have to set one HD master and the other as slave with jumpers ? (so they get detected in bios)

thanks a lot for you help

More about : sata detected bios

February 7, 2006 4:29:37 PM

I am not sure if this is the correct answer because I have never used RAID before on my computer but I have an Asus motherboard and there are two different sets of SATA connections on it. One set if for running the SATA hard drives as two independant drives and the other is for running them in a RAID configuration. You might want to check if you have this one your motherboard as well.
February 8, 2006 12:38:17 AM

Quote:
I 've been using two Maxtor SATA HD 120 go as simple IDE HD,
detected in bios as MASTER SATA IDE HARD DISK, with an Asus P5WD2 Mob. workin with win xp all right.

I've decided to try a RAID 0 config, set in the bios, SATA configured as RAID , and created a RAID 0 config in the utility provided in bios as described in the manual.

the problem is that the bios does not detect the HDs anymore ( when SATA set as RAID), win xp does not detect either the HDs with that setting.

I've opened the case, and found out that there are no jumpers in both maxtor hd
could be this the problem ?
do i have to set one HD master and the other as slave with jumpers ? (so they get detected in bios)

thanks a lot for you help

When you enable RAID, then the controller then controller by the RAID BIOS and not the main BIOS. So i is clearly normal that the main BIOS wont see the drive. otherwise, you won't be using RAID...

Right click "my computer icon", then manage. In disk management, the new disk (created with the 2 in the array) should be there. Partition, format ...
!