Sign in with
Your question

CPU Temperature Concern ??????

Last response: in CPUs
February 1, 2006 2:29:53 PM

First, I hope this is the correct forum for my question, if not please let me know where I should submit this post.

My question concerns what IS considered too high of a CPU temp and when to add additional cooling fans. I am not sure if one needs the specifics of my system, but here they are:

Pentium D 820 - 2.8 GHz
1 GB RAM
2 Hard Drives - WDSATA250GB and WDSATA160GB
Antec 480 watt True Power PSU
ASUS AX300SE/TD/128MB video card
2 DVDs
WinXP Home Media Edition

This PC is one month old and is NOT used for gaming in any way ……. It is primarily used for normal everyday items such as Word or Excel, surfing the web and manipulating digital photos.

I have noticed from the beginning the BIOS reported CPU temp is about 57 degrees centigrade. It may fluctuate a small amount, but for the most part, that is the normal everyday temperature. The PC has a rear mounted 120 MM fan, a CPU mounted 120 MM fan and of course, the PSU has its own 120 MM fan. Periodically, I can hear the fan speeds inside the case being increased or decreased by demand, so all that seems to be functioning properly. So, my question is:

Is 56 degrees C. for a Pentium D considered high or is this normal? I am accustomed to seeing the CPU temp on my old Pentium 3 at about 42 degrees C. I have been told Pentium Ds run hotter???

Would adding an extra case fan be a waste of time and money in my case?

Thanks
February 1, 2006 3:03:58 PM

For a Pentium D that's totally normal. Hell, it almost seems low. :o  And I'm not kidding.

But temeprature expectations are different for each CPU. Take my NorthwoodC for example, which runs a LOT cooler than a Prescott.

But in general, with today's hot CPUs, if a recent CPU gets above 65C when under load, I'd start to be concerned. Things can get hotter, but do you really want them to? :lol: 

But back to you. Yes, this is the right forum. And with your CPU, for what you do, you're going pretty normal. So don't worry. :) 

Granted, I've no idea why you have a Pentium D for something as simple as "Word or Excel, surfing the web and manipulating digital photos", but that's a topic for another day. :wink:
February 1, 2006 3:15:33 PM

Thanks Phoenix for the info!!

As far as why I have a Pentium D ........ I was shopping the day after Christmas for a 17" Sony Xbrite monitor and came across a ONE DAY ONLY sale on the Sony Pentium D, if you purchased a monitor. The price was tooooooo good to refuse!

TV
February 1, 2006 3:22:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks Phoenix for the info!!
No problem. That's what I'm here for.

Quote:
As far as why I have a Pentium D ........ I was shopping the day after Christmas for a 17" Sony Xbrite monitor and came across a ONE DAY ONLY sale on the Sony Pentium D, if you purchased a monitor. The price was tooooooo good to refuse!
It figures. :)  Not that it's a bad choice. It just seems like considerable overkill for what you're doing. But then a little overkill never hurt anybody. :wink:
!