File name changes during "save as" to other directory

Recently I noticed that whenever I get a document in my email, or a file
that I'm downloading, and I want to save it to a specific area, the name of
the file suddenly changes to a name that is already in the directory. My
"save as name" is not what I started out with. If I leave the area that the
MS defaults to alone, it keeps the same name though. This only happens if I
pick a different area to save in. What is going on????? I never had that
problem before.
4 answers Last reply
More about file save directory

    If you click on a file name (rather than a folder name) in a folder
    when doing SaveAs, that name will appear as the SaveAs file name.
    That is normal

    John Allen

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:49:24 -0700, "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org>
    wrote:

    >Recently I noticed that whenever I get a document in my email, or a file
    >that I'm downloading, and I want to save it to a specific area, the name of
    >the file suddenly changes to a name that is already in the directory. My
    >"save as name" is not what I started out with. If I leave the area that the
    >MS defaults to alone, it keeps the same name though. This only happens if I
    >pick a different area to save in. What is going on????? I never had that
    >problem before.

    Thanks for the answer, but I'm not clicking on anything in that directory.
    Here is my procedure. I get an email, and I like to safe the attachment. For
    some reason, MS decides where to put this file, some obscure directory, not
    even the last one I saved in. Then I click on my documents, then my work
    directory, then the department directory. Then I click on open, because
    there is no "save" or "OK " button, and then the name changes to a file in
    the that directory. I am not highlighting any file or anything. This happens
    with download as well, not just email attachments. Remember, as long as I go
    and say OK to the directory MS picks, all is well, it all starts when I
    redirect. I've done that for years and had no problems. I do NAV checking,
    Spybot checking and Adaware checking once a week. Well the NAV is on all the
    time, and I check all my email in text........Peter

    "John A" <not@available.com> wrote in message
    > If you click on a file name (rather than a folder name) in a folder
    > when doing SaveAs, that name will appear as the SaveAs file name.
    > That is normal
    >
    > John Allen
    >
    > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:49:24 -0700, "PeterM" <rpm@NOSPAM.dcn.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Recently I noticed that whenever I get a document in my email, or a file
    > >that I'm downloading, and I want to save it to a specific area, the name
    of
    > >the file suddenly changes to a name that is already in the directory. My
    > >"save as name" is not what I started out with. If I leave the area that
    the
    > >MS defaults to alone, it keeps the same name though. This only happens if
    > >pick a different area to save in. What is going on????? I never had that
    > >problem before.

    You're still not making any sense. First the "obscure
    directory" you refer to is the folder where the attachment
    is on you disk. When you download the message from the
    server, it's stored on disk. You didn't think it was
    hovering in the ether above your head did you?
    OK--the attached file that you want to save has a name,
    right? Let's say it's Attachment.doc. You right-click on
    the attachment in the message (or in Outlook Express,
    choose "save attachement") and you're given the initial
    option to save the message in the temp folder mentioned
    above. You change this by navigating (in the "save as"
    window) to the folder of your choice. You verify that the
    filename hasn't changed, or you change it to something of
    your preference. Then you click on "Save."
    That's how it works.

    Hello Wislu, I can't answer yet, I'm sick. More later. I have a better
    explanation later.........Peter

    "Wislu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

File Name Microsoft Windows XP