Sign in with
Your question

Water or air, which is the absolute best for overclocking?

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Overclocking
  • Water Cooling
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 1, 2006 3:43:55 PM

I hear a lot about how water cooling is great and all… but I need to know how much better than air cooling it really is. I wanna know if we’re talking just a few degrees in difference or a huge improvement? Is water cooling really worth all the trouble or installing a massive air cooled solution like the Big Typhoon from Thermaltake will to the same thing? Money isn’t the issue here… I just wanna make sure I get the best possible cooling solution for a new PC I just built. See brief specs bellow:

Athlon 64 4000+ 939
LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D
2GB Twin XMS pro Corsair RAM
7800 gtx GeForce
250GB Hitachi HDD
Sony DVDR
Asus Vento 3600 (black)

If anyone could help me out on this I really appreciate the help. Thank you.

More about : water air absolute overclocking

February 1, 2006 5:16:09 PM

I think if your not going to go above a 10-15% overclock then air cooling will suffice. If you want to OC more then that, I believe most people would say that watercooling or better (i.e. phase cooling or other exotic methods), would be the only way to go :) 

For the record, I have a 10% OC on my FX-60 and under stress it maxes out at 48-49C, using air cooling (Zalman 9500).
February 1, 2006 8:40:34 PM

I really want to be able to OC at least 20%... I'm sure water cooling is better, but how much better? Are we talking big temperature drops like 15 to 20 Celsius or just 5 or 8?
February 1, 2006 9:25:04 PM

For the record, my Opteron maxs 41 to 42C using TT $100 BigWaterSE at a 15% OC!
!