opinions requested on this setup

dunawayc

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I decided to upgrade my video card to an nVidia 7800GT. It sounded simple but then I realized that I needed to upgrade my mobo, RAM, and PSU as well. I have decided on the following combo and am interested in opinions. I intend to put these components into my existing case (hopefully I wont have to get one of those). I will probably get most (if not all) of these at NewEgg unless someone can suggest a better store.

[code:1:fe1da82937]CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Dual Core

Mobo: ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX

RAM: 2 sticks CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400
(PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model VS1GB400C3

PSU: ENERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT ATX12V 620W Power Supply
[/code:1:fe1da82937]

Do you think I will be disappointed with my choices? I will not oc, but I may try SLI in the future with an additiional vid card.

I am uncertain about the RAM. Corsair seems to have a good repuation but I don't know if I should get buffered or unbuffered? Is Crucial a good brand?

When installing a new CPU, does the boxed cpu come with the heatsink/fan etc. already attached? Will it come with the necessary thermal compounds? I have installed a CPU before but it has been years so I don't know if things have changed with the newer processors.

Thanks

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
The new X2 processors come with heatsink/fan but not attached to CPU already. The heatsink/fan has a thermalpad on the bottom of it already and ready for install. (I'd still recommend using AS5 for thermal paste though)

Unbuffered will work fine. And as a personal preference, i like Corsair and OCZ. Also from what i've heard Crucial is a good brand also, along with Patriot.

Many peps will prolly tell you to switch your MB too, but I think thats really up to you. I use it, its a good board, but there are other options for MBs of that quality that are less expensive.

I cant argue with that PS 8)

gersson

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Awesome. You SHOULD OC that, though -- its not that hard, really. Get some OCZ value ram that CAN OC some if you change your mind. You can easily squeeze out 200 or 300 mhz without any negative impact. Nice choice on the processor, btw. I think its currently the best deal (getting myself one soon too).

WAIT -- that mobo. There will soon be another ATI Xpress revision VERY soon... get the new Asus Board with the 16x per PCI-Express lane mobo cos of its EXCELLENT passive cooling. It IS kinda pricey but I don't think youll regret it (Im getting mine soon)