starting online flying

After several years of flying 'solo' around the skies, I've decided to go
'online'

I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a decent
headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).

I've read the basics tutorial and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't want to
upset anyone online and thought I could just potter about in VMC/VFR west of
Heathrow listening and learning

Any further reading suggestions?

btw - if your a controller in UK give me a break ;-)

Thanks

Clive

william

"Clive" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
> After several years of flying 'solo' around the skies, I've decided to go
> 'online'
>
> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
> decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>
> I've read the basics tutorial and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't want to
> upset anyone online and thought I could just potter about in VMC/VFR west
> of Heathrow listening and learning
>
> Any further reading suggestions?
>
> btw - if your a controller in UK give me a break ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Not the complete answer you want Clive but with SB3 you do not need AVC.
Voice is built into SB3. FSInn on the other hand uses AVC for voice but I
understand they will also have a built in voice in the next release.

I am sure the controllers will be very good to you...enjoy the experience
its a thrill

Bill

Clive,

Although I cannot give you a headset recommendation I can offer you a few
words of advice. I started on VATSIM only a few weeks ago and already think
I'll never go back to the AI ATC.

All the controllers seem to be really friendly and helpful, as long as
you're willing to do your part. In other words, don't just log on without a
flight plan and expect the controllers to do all your routing for you.
If you're simming in the UK then be sure to download UKRoute. It's a great
little program that will provide routings to/from most UK airports
(including all departure and arrival routings).

You should find online simming to be a great experience, although it can
take a short while (and many a cock-up) before you get the hang of it. Be
sure to put 'Newbie' or words to that effect in your remarks section on your
flight plan and controllers will be more understanding.

Hope that helps,
Jimbo.

"Clive" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
> After several years of flying 'solo' around the skies, I've decided to go
> 'online'
>
> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
> decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>
> I've read the basics tutorial and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't want to
> upset anyone online and thought I could just potter about in VMC/VFR west
> of Heathrow listening and learning
>
> Any further reading suggestions?
>
> btw - if your a controller in UK give me a break ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

If a controller tells you something, always read back what they said in a
gramacally normal sense. Ie:

Echo Bravo Uniform Tango, you are cleared to 2500ft maintain own navigation,
report when overhead X"

"Right, Cleared 2500 own navigation we'll report overhead X, Echo Bravo
Uniform Tango"

if you use that to start with you can't go wrong.

When you start doing IFR, you will need a good navigation program or an
addon aircraft with an FMC Navigation computer in the panel. There is a
Freeware one out there, but the best I'v come accross are the ones in the
PMDG 737NG and LDS 767-300ER

"Jimbo1999" <jimbo1999remove@supanet.removecomremove> wrote in message
> Clive,
>
> Although I cannot give you a headset recommendation I can offer you a few
> words of advice. I started on VATSIM only a few weeks ago and already
> think
> I'll never go back to the AI ATC.
>
> All the controllers seem to be really friendly and helpful, as long as
> you're willing to do your part. In other words, don't just log on without
> flight plan and expect the controllers to do all your routing for you.
> If you're simming in the UK then be sure to download UKRoute. It's a great
> little program that will provide routings to/from most UK airports
> (including all departure and arrival routings).
>
> You should find online simming to be a great experience, although it can
> take a short while (and many a cock-up) before you get the hang of it. Be
> sure to put 'Newbie' or words to that effect in your remarks section on
> your
> flight plan and controllers will be more understanding.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Jimbo.
>

> "Clive" <someone@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> After several years of flying 'solo' around the skies, I've decided to go
>> 'online'
>>
>> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
>> decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>>
>> I've read the basics tutorial and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't want to
>> upset anyone online and thought I could just potter about in VMC/VFR west
>> of Heathrow listening and learning
>>
>> Any further reading suggestions?
>>
>> btw - if your a controller in UK give me a break ;-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Clive

Tim

Clive wrote:
> After several years of flying 'solo' around the skies, I've decided
> to go 'online'
>
> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
> decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>
> I've read the basics tutorial and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I don't want
> to upset anyone online and thought I could just potter about in
> VMC/VFR west of Heathrow listening and learning
>
> Any further reading suggestions?
>
> btw - if your a controller in UK give me a break ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Clive,

You've picked the right time to go "on-line". SB3 and FSInn make it really
easy to do it now, evidenced by the huge number of people regularly on-line!

I control at Biggin Hill quite frequently, though I do like to go and fly
from time to time too, so why not "come down" and start off by doing some
VFR circuits? I promise to be as helpful as possible and Biggin is usually
quiet, so no danger of embarassing yourself in front of spectators!

Regarding headsets, I have a really cheap one and it's absolutely fine for
my purposes. I don't see any need to spend a fortune.

Tim

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:25:29 GMT, Tim wrote:

>> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
>> decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).

After twenty-six attempts to install SB3 on my main flightsim computer
ended with less than 9% of the installer running before it crashed with an
"unknown error 3," I'm still not online...

Bill :(

william

"Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:25:29 GMT, Tim wrote:
>
>>> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
>>> decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>
> After twenty-six attempts to install SB3 on my main flightsim computer
> ended with less than 9% of the installer running before it crashed with an
> "unknown error 3," I'm still not online...
>
> Bill :(

Sorry to hear that Bill cant understand what the problem would be. Have you
downloaded the newest SB3? There were two minor patches issued after the
first release.

As another poster suggested help is both at vatsim forum and also at SB3
forum

Bill

Tim

Bill Leaming wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:25:29 GMT, Tim wrote:
>
>>> I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy
>>> a decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>
> After twenty-six attempts to install SB3 on my main flightsim computer
> ended with less than 9% of the installer running before it crashed
> with an "unknown error 3," I'm still not online...
>
> Bill :(

Fortunately I had no problems whatsoever with SB3, so can't help at all
beyond suggesting you have a look at the SB3 support forums on
www.VATSIM.net. Or you could try FSInn and see how that goes? I have to say
that I think it's worth persevering with SB3 (although 26 attempts could be
considered going beyond the call of duty, when it comes to "persevering"!),
since it makes the online side of things ever so straightforward (assuming
you can get it working of course!).

Tim

stevej

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004

Bill Leaming wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:25:29 GMT, Tim wrote:
>

>>>I've joined VatSim, got hold of Squakbox v3, AVC and I'm off to buy a
>>>decent headset/mic today (any recommendations welcome).
>

> After twenty-six attempts to install SB3 on my main flightsim computer
> ended with less than 9% of the installer running before it crashed with an
> "unknown error 3," I'm still not online...
>
> Bill :(
Hi Bill

Have you tried taking FSUIPC out and then trying ?

Just a thought
Best
Steve

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 13:44:56 +0100, stevej wrote:

> Have you tried taking FSUIPC out and then trying ?

Actually, the problem was that I habitually make fsuipc.dll a READ ONLY
file to prevent precisely what SB3 was attempting to do... overwrite my
existing uptodate fsuipc.dll file!

Once I un-RO'ed the file and renamed it temporarily, the install went just
fine.

I've suggested that Joel might alter the install to do a version check on
fsuipc.dll before attempting an overwrite, as well as an option to SKIP the
file if the user does NOT want it replaced... ;)

Bill

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 11:11:34 -0400, William wrote:

> Sorry to hear that Bill cant understand what the problem would be. Have you
> downloaded the newest SB3? There were two minor patches issued after the
> first release.

I'd like to thank you publically for going out of your way to provide
assistance with the little problem with the VATSIM suspension... ;)

That shows a dedication well beyond what seems to be the norm these days,
and it was deeply appreciated!

Bill <the other one>