Looking for Advice on New AMD System

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Okay, I'm going to take the plunge and "convert" to AMD within the next couple months most likely.

Currently I've got:
P4 3.2ghz Prescott 775
ASUS P5GD2 Premium or one of my other Mini-atx Mobos.
1GB of DDR2 Ram
XFX 6600GT 128MB

I'm simply not where I would like to be with some in-game performance and video editing. But I'm close :) The main factor though is Heating & Power consumption, I simply can't stand having the computer run so hot and I figure AMD is the way to go because of that. And plus I figure the bump in gaming should help.

Looking to go to this these specs, input is appreciated:
10_1138827363.gif

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Geforce 7800GT 256MB, for $50 more if you can spare it 8)

*Ah didn't notice you said your "going" to switch in the next couple of months, those system spec's you looking at now could change in price and performance in a few months :wink:

Build for the now, not to future, or you'll always be waiting to build...

linux_0

Splendid
I agree the 7800GT is a very nice card.

Otherwise your config looks good :D

Good Luck!

PS I would recommend a Fortron source / FSP group, Antec or OCZ PSU instead of raidmax.

Darkfire001

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Okay, I'll look at getting the 7800GT. I just need to verify that it's wortht he extra cash since i'd feel weird buying a $290/Videocard that's going to drop $150 in value in a year :p

And when I said couple months, that was a bit over, I mean this is January, building in March, purchasing parts this month.

So I'll be getting all of this stuff within the next 2-4 weeks ;) So I figure nothing mind blowing will be coming out that will really change my mind.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Dont get hung up on whats going to go down in value, it's just like getting a car. It coast a lot fo $$$ but as soon as you dirve it off the lot its goes down in value 30% and something better come out months later. I do agree on the build it now theroy, but you can set yourself up for future expansion.

Do what ever you think is going to work best, I would go for the 7800 & 2 gigs of ram(if you wnat to change the card down the liney, youll still get some cash back if you ebay it later) You'll have much more staying power as for as being competitive with a gaming system.

Jagger

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Watch out for the power supply unit on that RaidMax case. I built a system using that exact case/PSU and the PSU burned out in less than a year (scared the h*ll out of the wife who thought the house was on fire from the smell).