Celeron OC`ing?

Liam

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Is Overclocking a Intel Celeron 2ghz skt 478 possible?

i have mine atm Which is Standard at 2ghz, But id like to Try 2.2ghz ( or higher if Possible )

ive searched Everything but nothing would overclock it.. My Mobo is a Columbia G8SIML ( something like That, Shitty Packard Bell )

YEs i know, it runs 4x AGP Graphics, and only holds Crap RAM, But im only 15 years old And havnt got a Job, So not enough Money to Splash out on a new PC with Dual Core CPU`s etc

Thanks for the Help

they overclock great even with stock cooling and vcore - my old system used a celeron 2ghz with a cheap board with no overclocking options, just a jumper to switch between 100mhz (400mhz) fsb and 133mhz (533mhz) fsb - i flicked it over and it ran solid and reliable as ever - still runs today, no extra heat, no resets or anything!

BTW that motherboard if its the GA8SMIL (not G8SIML) of yours is a rebadged/OEM version of a Gigabyte board, chances are you could reflash the bios and get the gigabyte bios back and that might have some overclocking options, take note - theres 2 revisions.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1335 - first revisions

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=1741
- revision 2.0

revisions are usually written somewhere on the board - gigabyte sometimes lists it below the model name.

if you can get one of the gigabyte bios's to flash, reset the cmos after it and set up the bios and see whats there at your use, otherwise the board supports gigabyte's windows overclocking tool - EasyTune.

BEWARE - THIS COULD KILL YOUR BOARD FLASHING IT BACK TO THE GIGABYTE BIOS (altho rarly i do have to warn you, and usually the flash programs will refuse you if there diffrent).

On the other hand iv had a HP board with a HP bios (AMI) and sucesfully flashed it to a gigabyte bios (Award) - had the reset the cmos for it to work.

Good Luck

Liam

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Thanks for the Help, Under the Two Revisions What one will i download

And What Exactly Is Cmos?

Glad to Know the Celeron can overclock, ive been told it cant... lol

Thanks for all the Help

grab a torch and pop your case open and carefully look all over the motherboard and you will eventually find some writing that says "Revision 1.0" or 2.0 (anything 1.x and 2.x is expected) or whatever - most boards have it and your will definitly have it - when you find it you will know which bios to get.

CMOS holds the settings you configure in the bios, to clear the settings in the cmos you have to set the clear cmos jumper the oppisite way and leave for 20 seconds then restore (most boards dont require 20 seconds but aparently some do) - for more help download the manual for your board at gigabytes site. The reason you want to clear it is cause your flashing a totally new bios - after you flash the bios reset/clear the cmos incase it might cause any issues with the previous configuration, and if you need the help configuring anything ask here on the forums.

Celerons do overclock, its the boards that dont, in your case you might be lucky - gigabyte usually always adds overclocking functions into all there bios's, otherwise you have the second (and not so good but works) option to overclock via windows.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
I have a Celeron 1.7Ghz myself... but I am not sure what motherboard it has in it, as it came from Dell. How would I find out motherboard and how would I overclock it in Windows? I prefer to go with overclocking in the BIOS, but sometimes you have to do it in Windows. :(

i used to own a celeron 1700 - at best you could clock it to 2ghz and that isnt goin to do much anyhow, windows overclocking? could try some software that uses the PLL chip codes but the programs are rare, dont bother.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
it's possible but what architecture is it p6 or netburst? best way you can tell is with cpu-z oh and the 1.7 celeron p6 is a good overclocker if you could find one of the first batches overclocked my cousins celeron p6 from 1.7 to 2.0 stable even beat the 2.0 standard celeron netburst at the same speed of course!

no such thing as a tualatin (p6) celeron 1.7ghz - thats a wilamette (netburst) celeron, the tualatin's stoped at 1400 or 1500 but could hit 1700 - my celeron 1.1a (256k) hits 1.46 on stock cooling, no vcore, and beats P4's below 2ghz.

overclocked my cousins celeron p6 from 1.7 to 2.0 stable even beat the 2.0 standard celeron netburst at the same speed of course!
- of course it did - it would then be 2ghz clock with a higher fsb then the stock 2ghz, but the 2ghz is a northwood and could easily get past 2.66ghz and some batches beyond 3ghz.

1.7 celeron p6 is a good overclocker if you could find one of the first batches
- no matter what speed it could get (max ~2ghz cause of 180nm) it would still be slow, and all of em hit a wall around 2ghz, so 300mhz extra (and in P4 terms)? that aint a good overclocker.

Get the facts right.

WINDSHEAR

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
well, at least he tried to encourage me. I appreciate that. :p My problem is with the motherboard... I have no options in BIOS :x a 1.7Ghz Celeron could overclock just fine with a proper motherboard.

the celeron 1.7ghz is a 180nm/wilamette part - 2GHZ WALL, 300mhz more - crap overclocker, where as 130nm/northwood cores could do 1+ghz extra with stock cooling.

I owned one - they were expensive and slow (concidering an AMD AthlonXP 1800 was the same price here in Australia at the time)

godlyatheist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2005
THis is interesting, my dad has an old crappy emachine with celeron 2.0g Northwood. THe bios only shows FSB speed of and 100mhz and 400mhz. Is this the only OC option I have??? Any bios I can flash with??? I have this TriGem Computer, Inc. mobo with model Imperial 1.04. The chip is i845GL.

hell no dont touch sis based crap, get something from the P4P800 series for ASUS, or get any decent brand with an Intel Chipset (and overclocking), but if you can save a few more $$$ you may as well buy a whole new system for some more.