Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hey guys.

I just finished building my first comp, and I have a couple of issues I was wondering if you guys can help me with.

1) Would reversing the USB header cables be so bad as to produce smoke? Because when I plugged in my USB header cables, smoke came out and the tip nearly damn fried. Would it still work even if part of the plastic part of the tip burned off?

2) When I boot my computer both the USB header cables and the IDE cables get incredibly hot. I dunno if I reversed the IDE cables, since it snugly fits. The master is on the top and the slave on the bottom right? I used 2 IDE cables, one for my HDD, and one for my CD Burner. Would using the wrong jumpers cause that big of a problem?

3) Are there any other common mistakes I should be aware about?

Thanks.

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Because when I plugged in my USB header cables, smoke came out and the tip nearly damn fried.

LOL, I needed a good laugh from this monotony at work. I've never heard of USB cables catching on fire.

Maybe both jumpers are set to Master on CD burner & HDD? /shrug I don't know much about jumpers and such.

And I wouldn't put anything "burned off" into any connection in my computer heh.

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
LOL, I needed a good laugh from this monotony at work. I've never heard of USB cables catching on fire.

No its actually the cable from your case into your mobo. Yeah my case sucks too since its my first build I didn't want to spend too much money.

Maybe both jumpers are set to Master on CD burner & HDD? /shrug I don't know much about jumpers and such.

But they're on separate IDE channels. I put them each in a different IDE header.

And I wouldn't put anything "burned off" into any connection in my computer heh.

Damn. Oh well I can survive without front-side USB lol. Do you know if USB header cables are sold separately?

linux_0

Splendid
If you saw sparks and or smoke then something must have been shorted out and something almost certainly blew up.

The 10pin USB headers and 40pin IDE headers are NEVER supposed to get hot.

Your PSU may be bad, a brass standoff or other piece of metal may be shorting the board out or something is defective.

Since they are getting hot I would say something is seriously wrong and I would dare say the machine in that state is a serious fire hazard.

It might even burn your house down, I think you should check the system thoroughly and have it looked at by a qualified tech.

linux_0

Splendid
PS You can purchase internal USB cables on ebay or elsewhere online - they are fairly inexpensive, however that does not solve your immediate problem. If your USB, IDE and other headers are hot then your machine is not working correctly and needs to be fixed before it explodes or starts a fire.

Could you please give us a list of all your parts with model numbers?

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
PS You can purchase internal USB cables on ebay or elsewhere online - they are fairly inexpensive, however that does not solve your immediate problem. If your USB, IDE and other headers are hot then your machine is not working correctly and needs to be fixed before it explodes or starts a fire.

Could you please give us a list of all your parts with model numbers?

Ok I'll try.

Chaintech Summit K8T800 Socket 754 ATX motherboard
MGE CAE-101 Aluminum ATX Case with 400-watt power supply (PSU model LPJ2)

IPSG 256 MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
Maxtor 120 GB 7200 RPM IDE Hard Drive
PowerColor 64 MB Radeon 7000 gfx card
Thermaltake S754 heatsink/fan
Antec 80mm red LED case fan
Internal IDE 52x32x52 CD-RW by Micro Advantage.

I can replace my current PSU with the one that came with my XION II case (450 watts), but iono if thats the problem.

Thanks.

linux_0

Splendid
If you have a digital multimeter you could use it to check to see what kind of voltages your PSU is putting out.

You should also be able to check your operating temperatures and voltages in your BIOS if you can get to it.

You might want to check to see if your ATX power connector on your motherboard or PSU has melted or is burnt.

I had a ECS socket A motherboard that literally melted and almost caught fire - good thing I figured it out in time and powered it down before it started a fire.

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
If you have a digital multimeter you could use it to check to see what kind of voltages your PSU is putting out.

You should also be able to check your operating temperatures and voltages in your BIOS if you can get to it.

You might want to check to see if your ATX power connector on your motherboard or PSU has melted or is burnt.

I had a ECS socket A motherboard that literally melted and almost caught fire - good thing I figured it out in time and powered it down before it started a fire.

Ok I'll try that.

TRENDING THREADS