Networking Help

mario

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2003

i have to 3 computers and i'm tryig to run a LAN,i have a DLINK wireless
router (DI-514) connected to one computer by Ethernet, and the other two on
wireless NICS DLINK as well (DWL-520). i have dsl shared on all three with no
problem but for some reason i can't seem to run a LAN that allows me share
file and printers. any help please on how to set it up, on WINDOWS XP. Any
advise please even if it involes downloading software support.
Thank You....

Make sure you have simple file sharing enabled.

Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View>Scroll to the bottom check Use
Simple File Sharing.

First open the Properties of My Network Places, delete or disable all
connections except your internet connection, (all computers). Right click
your IC go to Properties the Local Area Connection Properties will open,
install Client for MS Network, File & Print Sharing, Internet
Protocol(TCP/IP)(on this protocol click Properties select Obtain IP and DNS
Automatically), install NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Protocol(this will allow the
firewall to be enabled), click OK. Now back on your Network Connections
click on the left of the page, Setup a Small Home Network, the wizard will
open then just follow the instructions, when you get to the point to Create
a Floppy then do so, then you just run it on the other computer,(insert the
floppy in the other puter open My Computer double click A drive then double
click the link that appears. Be sure to name your Workgroup (not domain) the
same and give each computer a different name.

To hook up Printer sharing just install the printer on the host computer go
to Printer and Faxes right click your printer, then go to Sharing, then set
it to Share then name it, click OK.

Go to the other computer open Printer & Faxes on the left of the page click
add a printer then follow the instructions.

Choose connect to this computer. (type) \\your host puter name\printer name

--
Good Day
Haus