New PC Won't Post

shuc5

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Hi,
don't think i'm a complete idiot about these things, but i'm absolutely lost nonetheless, no post, no beeps, nothing at all..

system specs:

AMD x2 3800+
Asus A8N-E
2 dimms of MDT 1024 ram
club-3d 7800GT
Enermax Liberty 500W

Best description of the symptoms i can give you is, like i said, no post, no reaction from the monitor, no beeps, nothing.

except that the thing refuses to power off as well - the power led will go out if i hold the power button for a few secs but to get the fans (all of which are runnning fine - 7800 is loouuddd....) to stop i need to switch the ps off... if i pull the cpu no post obviously, but the power led stays off and the pc will power down...

tried moving the ram around, (single dual etc...), reset the cmos, completely out of ideas...

mother board box says its x2 compatible but might the bios just be too old? heard there were some issues with x2 and old bios (bioses?)...

thanks for any help...

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I've heard those same bios issues too, it sounds like you've alrady done some basic trouble shooting. Try linux_0 suggested like to cover your bases, once youve done that, possibly grab a new another PSU to test with, any 24pin will work just to test.

I've had the same problem on a client 745 build and it lead to a bad mobo, the thing wont power down, and would power up upon pluging in the power cord. An RMA may be in your future.

shuc5

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
thanks for both your replies...

managed to get my hands on another an8-e, tested both of them in and out of the case - same result. so i guess i can't blame the motherboard...

don't have another 24-pin psu sadly... the only other testing i could do is plug the psu/ram into an old pc (xp1900) - any point to doing this?

and if it should be the bios - any way i can get around this without having to find a cpu that will work so that i can update the bios?

one last question - still confused by the fact that removing the cpu leads to me being able to turn off the pc via the power switch. this mean anything?

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Not sure on that last question, but the wap test on the PSU could be a good test but not 100% check with the 20+4 pin connector. If you have no post I dont think there is anyway of getting around into the bios.

Have you swaped the Video crad out with a pci one or something diffrent? I still think its the mobo compatibility.

linux_0

Splendid
thanks for both your replies...

managed to get my hands on another an8-e, tested both of them in and out of the case - same result. so i guess i can't blame the motherboard...

don't have another 24-pin psu sadly... the only other testing i could do is plug the psu/ram into an old pc (xp1900) - any point to doing this?

and if it should be the bios - any way i can get around this without having to find a cpu that will work so that i can update the bios?

one last question - still confused by the fact that removing the cpu leads to me being able to turn off the pc via the power switch. this mean anything?

If you can get your hands on a decent 20pin PSU that is known to work give it a try!

Most AMD64 939 boards will work with a 20pin ATX connector plugged in but I wouldn't recommend that on a permanent basis.

Also putting the RAM in another system even an older Athlon XP 32bit would help somewhat.

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

Download memtest86, burn it onto a CDR, boot up and let it run for as long as possible.

That should tell you if the RAM is bad.

It is unlikely the CPU is bad but if you can borrow a single core 939 it's worth a shot.