Your question

SATA2 + RAID0 = no IDE or CD/DVD

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2006 1:17:59 AM

Here's the setup I hope to end up with.

2 x Seagate 80GB SATA2 in RAID0
1 x Maxtor 200GB IDE
1 x DVD+-RW
1 x CD-ROM (on same ribbon cable as DVD+-RW)

I have the 2 SATA2 drives setup and working in RAID0 just fine. However that's where the good stuff ends.

I can't hook up my 200GB and use it:
- with IDE mode disabled, because it obviously doesn't work that way
- can't use it with IDE mode because it just hangs during post on "Auto-detecting 3rd Master... IDE Hard Disk Drive
Auto-detecting 3rd Master... IDE Hard Disk Drive"

Now that I can live with, but the big problem is that I can't use my DVD even with IDE enabled. Therefore I can't install any drivers or anything. Normally I would just plug the DVD into the IDE connector on the motherboard, but with RAID it doesn't detect it that way, and when I put it in the Ultra-DMA connector it detects it but I can't run anything from it in Windows.

Any ideas?

More about : sata2 raid0 ide dvd

February 2, 2006 1:22:09 AM

My hardware:

Seagate 7200.9 80GB SATA2 hard drives (2)
Maxtor 200GB IDE hard drive
Samsung DVD+-RW
Some old CD-ROM
ASUS P5WD2 motherboard
Intel ICH7 RAID controller
ITE8211 IDE controller
ATAPI BIOS v1.3.1.61

Note: In my BIOS when I select "Configure SATA as" I choose RAID (obviously because I have to) but it says something along the lines that IDE must be disabled or RAID will not work. WHY??! :( 
February 2, 2006 1:54:11 AM

Out of all my thoughts I've had about your problem, here's what I've settled on.

First, make sure that your IDE HDD is on the primary IDE connector.

Put your optical drives on the secondary IDE connector.

Then make sure that any unused IDE ports are set to disabled. (should just be the second IDE port left on the primary connector)

Been a long time since I've had your particular error. >.<

OH! One other thing. Maybe there's an IDE connector or set of connectors that the RAID chip also supports? If the single IDE drive is plugged into one of those, it'd cause conflicts. Make sure you're using the MB chipset's IDE connectors.
!