AMD Turion and Athlon CPU's in laptops

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hey guys.

I read AMD's site and both the Turion series and the mobile Athlon series use PowerNow to save battery life. I was wondering which of the two are better for conserving battery life. One of my friends says the Turion, and that the MT series are more conserving than the ML.

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Would you rather get the MT or the ML if you were a college student and needed it for both gaming (performance) and studying (battery)?

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I have a ULV Pentium M and when I clock it down to 600mhz I only gain 30 minutes of idle time on the battery. Listening to music or something like that gets me even less time. The major factor is the screen brightness. i can gain up to an hour by lowering it all the way. So, IMHO, the low voltage chips ar enot worth the extra money. Most turion notebooks are on the value platform fo SIS graphics and the like are what you are looking at. The xpress200 from ATI is also common. I guess the x200 graphics arent that bad considering my buddy was able to play Doom3 at the same settings as me. he used a 3.2 pentium with X300 graphics and I was using a Xp2700 and a 9800 Pro (explain that one to me!) but I dont think the x200 is a good as the X300 since it is integrated. I would get the normal turion and used the saved cash for a X700 graphics or something.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Knowing what I know now, I would never have bought this Pentium M. The fujitsu lifebook 6000 series is really small and nice but it cant do sqaut. I keep it plugged in all the time and never really use the battery anyways. I am going for a mid range gaming laptop next time. What a waste of $2300...

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Thats FSC, they suck (am I allowed to say that word?) badly.
Pentium M are superior to Turions anytime, anyday, in any aspect.

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I agree that the Pentium-Ms are better than the Turions. I would go as far to say that a Pentium M would be just as fast as a A64 if it had a better chipset. Be geez dude! We're talking about comparing a $600 intel chip to a $350 Turion? I would take the Turion any day of the week!

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Do you guys know any good laptops that can be used for gaming and can give me at least 3 hrs of battery life?

Would replacing the default battery with something like a 12-cell give me a great boost in life?

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
If you mean gaming for three hours? forget about it. When my lifebook was brand new I could play civ3 for three hours with both batteries in and playing of the HDD. I barely used this thing this past year and I bet I couldnt get even two hours. Save yourself the time and money Bro. But since you asked...... Let us know you price range and I will tell you what I think at least...

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Nonono not gaming. I want a laptop that when I use it for college (like word processing and programming) the battery will last long enough to I can make it through a day's worth of college classes. When I DO game though, it'll be most likely connected to the AC power.

Does anyone know if CyberPower laptops can carry 2 batteries in it?

DuxSyagrius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Good luck man. 2 spindle notebooks carry a premium and arent as common these days. I'm sure if you look around the japanese ones you will find one.