SP 2 fears

A year or two ago, I installed SP 1 and my machine (w/XP home) crashed, and I
lost everything. The technicians at Future Shop where I bought my machine
said that SP 1 was causing havoc on many of their machines and recommended
staying away from it altogether. With everything re-installed, things have
gone pretty smoothly since then. I install almost all Windows updates as
they become available except SP 1. Am I paranoid to fear similar problems
with Service Pack 2 if I install it?

Well, SP1 is included in SP2 so what do you or your installer think?
It is your decision.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"Average Guy" <Average Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A151E0A1-64D8-44B9-9F5A-78920C94C618@microsoft.com...
|A year or two ago, I installed SP 1 and my machine (w/XP home) crashed, and I
| lost everything. The technicians at Future Shop where I bought my machine
| said that SP 1 was causing havoc on many of their machines and recommended
| staying away from it altogether. With everything re-installed, things have
| gone pretty smoothly since then. I install almost all Windows updates as
| they become available except SP 1. Am I paranoid to fear similar problems
| with Service Pack 2 if I install it?

Obviously you need to backup before this time before you install SP2. What
some people do is make a full system backup first using a third party
imaging program. Common programs that can do this include Norton Ghost,
Drive Image or True Image. Burn the image to CD or DVD. Then install the
Service Pack. If the system crashes you can easily reinstall the image and
be back in business in a few minutes.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Average Guy" <Average Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A year or two ago, I installed SP 1 and my machine (w/XP home) crashed, and
> lost everything. The technicians at Future Shop where I bought my machine
> said that SP 1 was causing havoc on many of their machines and recommended
> staying away from it altogether. With everything re-installed, things
> have
> gone pretty smoothly since then. I install almost all Windows updates as
> they become available except SP 1. Am I paranoid to fear similar
> problems
> with Service Pack 2 if I install it?

sunny

Just for info, Symantec have discontinued Drive Image 7.
Replaced it with Norton Ghost 9.0
(as from 1 Sep 04)