cannot share files after connecting

I can connect a VPN connection between two computers at different
locations; however, I cannot map a network drive or access any files
on the computers.

I'm connecting via two Linksys routers.

One computer is running W2k Pro the other Win 98 SE.

Both computers are named to the same workgroup, and both have file
sharing selected.
2 answers Last reply
More about cannot share files connecting

    I guess my question to the ng is, what can I try to do to fix this?

    My linksys routers both say the VPN tunnel is connected, but if I go
    to map a network drive I do not see the other computer, nor can I find
    it.

    native_texan_03@yahoo.com (Pablo) wrote in message news:<b4d88dc9.0407151553.44202d7@posting.google.com>...
    > I can connect a VPN connection between two computers at different
    > locations; however, I cannot map a network drive or access any files
    > on the computers.
    >
    > I'm connecting via two Linksys routers.
    >
    > One computer is running W2k Pro the other Win 98 SE.
    >
    > Both computers are named to the same workgroup, and both have file
    > sharing selected.

    In your router config, make sure you have your WAN/public IP address
    forwarded to an IP address on your LAN (192.168.x.x usually). Not
    familiar with Linksys but D-link requires a Virtual server entry setup
    for PPTP and designates a Private IP address to your specific LAN
    computer that the router forwards the pptp request to.

    native_texan_03@yahoo.com (Pablo) wrote in message news:<b4d88dc9.0407221534.6ded3f95@posting.google.com>...
    > I guess my question to the ng is, what can I try to do to fix this?
    >
    > My linksys routers both say the VPN tunnel is connected, but if I go
    > to map a network drive I do not see the other computer, nor can I find
    > it.
    >

    > native_texan_03@yahoo.com (Pablo) wrote in message news:<b4d88dc9.0407151553.44202d7@posting.google.com>...
    > > I can connect a VPN connection between two computers at different
    > > locations; however, I cannot map a network drive or access any files
    > > on the computers.
    > >
    > > I'm connecting via two Linksys routers.
    > >
    > > One computer is running W2k Pro the other Win 98 SE.
    > >
    > > Both computers are named to the same workgroup, and both have file
    > > sharing selected.

vpn Connection Computers Networking