Sign in with
Your question

What/how much RDRAM to get???

Last response: in Memory
February 2, 2006 1:20:00 PM

Hi all new here,

...And a computer newbie to boot...the worst combination. :wink:

I would like to increase the RDRAM I have on my Intel D850EMV2L mobo.

I currently have 2x Kingston 1066x16-8/256 sticks.

I'm trying to figure out what is the maximum allowed for this board ...2 banks with 4 RIMM sockets.

Recording Studio here so the more the better.

Thanks for any help.

More about : rdram

February 2, 2006 1:46:55 PM

Google is your friend, always look there first:

Your Mobo supports 2GB RAM

Remember RDRAM has to be installed in pairs, so if you have 512 in there now you can add another 2x512 sticks and get 1.5GB total. That should be plenty.

To get to 2GB you'd have to throw out your current mem and get 4x512 sticks. Considering how expensive RDRAM is going to be for you, I doubt you'll want to invest that much though.
February 2, 2006 2:03:13 PM

Kraster,

Thanks so much.

Can i ask, should I stay with The same Brand...Kingston

This is looking like a $500.00 investement...YOW!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 2, 2006 2:32:58 PM

brand shouldn't matter much, as long as the memory is the right type. I did find another link that said if you are running at RDRAM1066, the maximum memory is 1GB, whereas if you are running at RDRAM800 it is 2GB.

So, given the high prices and this tidbit, you might want to just add another 2x256MB at RDRAM1066, since that's what you have in there now.

I mean, $500 for 2x512 is ludicrus - for $600 you could put together an AMD A64 machine with 1GB DDR400!
February 2, 2006 2:54:22 PM

I would say that if you put a little money together you'll be able to build a much better system than you current one, only cost a bit more than the RDRAM upgrade. ;) 
February 2, 2006 4:54:03 PM

Quote:
brand shouldn't matter much, as long as the memory is the right type. I did find another link that said if you are running at RDRAM1066, the maximum memory is 1GB, whereas if you are running at RDRAM800 it is 2GB.

So, given the high prices and this tidbit, you might want to just add another 2x256MB at RDRAM1066, since that's what you have in there now.

I mean, $500 for 2x512 is ludicrus - for $600 you could put together an AMD A64 machine with 1GB DDR400!

Yeah exactly!Model : D850EMVRL

System Specs
Type of system: Motherboards
Bus Architecture: PCI/AGP
Hard Drive Bus: Ultra ATA/100
CPU Type: Intel Celeron, Pentium 4

Memory Specs
Standard Memory: 0 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 1.0 GB (PC1066)/2.0 GB (PC800)
Memory Expansion: 4 sockets (2 banks of 2)
Memory Comments: PC800/PC1066 RDRAM RIMMs

Your right Kraster.

OK I'll do a 512MB upgrade with PC1066 (supposed to be 25% faster than PC800) Giving the system a total of 1GB...maxed out.

Do you guy's think this is even worth it?...will there be a noticable difference? I know it's subjective. :wink:

Then in the distant future do a complete upgrade like Kitchenshark's recommending.
February 2, 2006 5:28:30 PM

Quote:

Do you guy's think this is even worth it?...will there be a noticable difference? I know it's subjective. :wink:

I think it depends on your budget. If you are strapped now and can only shell out a few hundred then adding 512MB will be a boost for the short term -- going from 512 to 1GB is a noticable system speedup, epecially for sound editing.

However, if you were prepared to spend more now, then I think its a better idea to upgrade since any money you sink into memory for this machine you can't take with you to the next one. For $1000 you can get a pretty killer machine -- I just helped a friend build one with an X2 3800, 1GB RAM, and 2xWD 250GB SE16 in RAID 1.
February 2, 2006 5:39:22 PM

You could sell the RDRAM in your computer then use that plus what you were going to spend to make a better computer.

Its really crazy, RDRAM prices have actually gone UP since it was introduced.

Considering the price ratio to what you get, I honestly think you're going to be much better off if you build a new computer. $500 is a big investment for just some extra RAM.

(I have RDRAM too, and just selling my 4x128MB sticks is probably worth more than the rest of my computer)...

If you're certain you want to go upgrade, then I would say get another 512 to make 1GB... You'll probably end up upgrading within the next 2 yrs, right? It'll be cheaper and I think it'll hold you over til then.
!