difference between Performance and Quality mode ?

Hameedo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
all graphic drivers have this kind of options for image settings ...High performance ...performance ..Qulaity...High Quality ...what is the major difference between them ?...I set it to high performance and played F.E.A.R.....i noticed that nothing was different ..between qulaity (default) and high performance in image or FPS ....same graphics ...

but when I run 3Dmark 06 in high performance mode...I noticed that my score is greatly improving ...than qulaity mode ?..also I noticed that nothing changed in the quality of the image ....

what is the major effect of those options ?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Performance and Quality are just 2 ways of automatically setting a whole bunch of driver options and/or game settings automatically. Nearly every driver option has at least 2 settings. Performance settings will sacrifice image quality for speed and Quality will sacrifice speed for a prettier picture. If you can't tell the difference you are not looking hard enough. Perhaps you are better off because once you notice how much better things look with certain options turned on you might end up wanting a better video card.

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
What you should do for max performance is set everything on application preference, this will ensure that no extra processing is done by the drivers themselves, ie effects you don't need like 16x AF, which is almost indistinguishable from 8x in most games.