Upgrading laptop cpu

erdie

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2001
Hi
I have got a fic a440 laptop with a pentium III 800mhz. I would like to have a bit better speed but cannot afford a new machine. I have seen that you can get a pIII tualatin core 1.26ghz. Would this work or would I need an adapter for this to work and would the adapter work or even fit in a laptop. Any help with this or even help in getting a faster speed processor to work would be much appreciated.
Cheers
erdie :oops:

Although still technically a P3, the Tualatin cores are more intended for servers, and only supported on fairly modern socket 370 mainboards; it is 98% likely that your laptop will not support it...

(Many P3 laptops used 100 MHz based cpus, to avoid the extra speed/heat/power draw of the 133 MHz FSB models; you will need to check with your laptop manufacturer to see wether you are using a mobile version or desktop cpu inside, and what the highest speed supported is....)

I'd guess the jump from 800 to 900 or even 1 GHz is not going to be that noticeable anyway, and not really worth worth the cost, with new laptops in the 2GHz range at sub - $1000 prices....