Sign in with
Your question

Dell stops offering Intel 9xx series processors

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2006 4:18:56 PM

Last week Dell offered the 820, 930, and 940 and not the 920 on the XPS 400

Dell also offered the 9xx series on the XPS 600 last week

This week, Dell does not now offer the 9xx series of CPUs on the XPS 400.
I just checked the XPS600, and they do not offer the 9xx series of chips there as well.

Maybe Intel has some problems with those chips?
I had heard that the 920 had some stability problems a few months ago

Interesting and weird
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2006 5:14:33 PM

Thats strange....!

I'm sure the Inquirer will have some kind of story on it.....wierd, too, as Dell had been doing Duallys on the 8xx series, and, I'd expect the 9xx series to run a little cooler...

We'll see what develops...
Related resources
February 2, 2006 6:37:50 PM

We checked with a Dell (US) representative on ordering a Dell XPS 400 with 9xx series processors and they replied:

"Unfortunately I do not know if or when they will bring back that chip.
When you are ready to buy, hopefully they will have it available in our XPS models again."

very interesting . . . .
February 2, 2006 7:57:01 PM

Below is a message on the Dell community Forum in reply to this question:

"I have had an XPS 600 with the 930 on order for almost 2 weeks now. It was delayed once, and it will likely be delayed again. It's not just a supply problem. Dell pulled the A04 BIOS from the site at about the same time the 900 series processors became unavailable."
February 2, 2006 8:10:19 PM

My guess is that it is due to the problems with the 900 series. Some work fine, but apparently not enough for Dell. A04 was to fix issues with 900 series processors messing up, so maybe Dell is truly going to use AMD...?

Too bad I no longer work for them, but I know that Intel CPU's in the past 3 months I worked for them have had 8X more failures than the other two years COMBINED (I was 'transfered' around September 30 2005). I still have our callcenter's spec sheets to prove it, nearly 1 in every 17 calls to our Dell support (our callcenter was one of the three or so in US business desktop support division) involved a P4 processor failure. This was averaged for a two week period and 'several thousand' calls.

I'm outa this before Dell finds out I'm...nevermind. Intel recently has been less reliable than ever in short. Their Centrino processors are doing well I hear :) 

I will actually mention one more thing--this was mostly dual-cores and 64-bit cpus. Even with the prescott cpu failure rate, suddenly prescott started looking like a stable processor :o 
February 2, 2006 8:25:28 PM

Have the prices for the models gone down now that they use the 8xx series again? I haven't been to Dell in a long time so I wouldn't know their regular pricing levels. Intel was supposed to be cutting prices from the 5xx, the 6x0, and the 8xx models to clear inventory at the end of January and replace them with the 65nm 6x1 and 9xx. It's possible that Dell is going back to 8xx in order to offer lower prices and clear their own inventory and the 9xx was made unavailable in order to force users to buy the 8xx.

Going to Dell Canada now I notice the XPS 600 and Dimension 9150 having $300+ rebates. But like I said I can't tell if that is standard bundling or real, new discounts.
February 3, 2006 5:58:59 PM

what did you expect even dell has it's limit's on how much crap it can take from intel
February 3, 2006 6:34:58 PM

I know a bunch of people with 9xx processors, no problem, and they run cooler than Prescott, with amazing speed and overclock potential. Like 4.5Ghz on air, over 5 on water. I doubt the problem is not with the 9xx chip, either that or Dell got a bad batch of processors from a few months ago when Intel just started making them. You get much better quality proc's now then you do from back then. And the 955 especially is a good proc.
February 4, 2006 10:41:22 AM

We can only hope they'll be replaced by some socket 939 chips :lol: 
February 4, 2006 7:57:10 PM

I have been also following this thread on the Dell community website and Dell even 'delayed' or more probably 'cancelled' many, many XPS 400/600 systems with 9xx processors that were already in production.

One user said that his system was 'delayed' and not shipped even after it was already in the 'shipping phase'

Dell was unwilling to make any estimates about when these systems would be shipped?
February 4, 2006 8:54:39 PM

Why buy Dell, when you can by a real computer?
February 5, 2006 12:30:38 PM

Quote:
Why buy Dell, when you can by a real computer?

People who dont have a lot of money :roll:
!