Sign in with
Your question

wait for 64?

Last response: in CPUs
February 2, 2006 4:21:05 PM

I am considering on buying a laptop in the near future, but im not sure if i should wait for the 64 bit intels to come out or to just go with the 32 bits that are out now. I am learning to program so it would be nice to have the 64 bit and play around with that, but i dont think i need it. All i really need it for is for programming and maybe playing 40k dawn of war everyonce in awhile.

More about : wait

a b à CPUs
February 2, 2006 5:11:52 PM

There are already numerous 64 bit laptops (Athlon 64 based) out, and I'm sure you can find a manufacturer that will install WinXP64 (vice the normal XP/XP Pro) successfully on them...
February 2, 2006 5:21:30 PM

I would rather stick to intel for a laptop just for the fact that i have heard intels actually give you more battery life than amds, but if anyone has experienced the opposite please tell.
Related resources
February 2, 2006 5:42:32 PM

Wouldn't that be the opposite seeing that AMD CPUs use less energy for the most part. Try googling for laptop comparisons
February 2, 2006 5:59:10 PM

When idling, usually Intel use less battery power, but when doing some work actually, AMD tend to last more.. It depends of the type of battery used, video chip used,.. so, that aint just that easy to compare laptop. An intel any high end video chip will simply consume more than an AMD with a simple video chip.. inverse is true too...
February 2, 2006 9:27:01 PM

turion 64 is 64bit and its tdp is 25watts
February 2, 2006 9:36:02 PM

Quote:
When idling, usually Intel use less battery power, but when doing some work actually, AMD tend to last more.. It depends of the type of battery used, video chip used,.. so, that aint just that easy to compare laptop. An intel any high end video chip will simply consume more than an AMD with a simple video chip.. inverse is true too...

Isn't 'Cool & quiet' available for laptops? If so, AMD would consume much less power than an Intel based laptop.
February 2, 2006 9:40:36 PM

The way I hear it, Intel has better cooling, performance and battery life than AMD regarding notebooks if you are refering the the Centrino configured mobile units.
February 2, 2006 9:42:09 PM

It is available, but AMD still hasn't managed to get the Turion under Centrino's/Pentium-M TDP.

Centrino/Pentium-M is still superior to AMD Turion in almost every way. Since 64 bit computing is hardly mainstream and no major manufacturer ships WinXP x64 edition on laptops, this feature did not factor into my opinion.

-mpjesse
February 2, 2006 9:45:01 PM

Quote:
The way I hear it, Intel has better cooling, performance and battery life than AMD regarding notebooks if you are refering the the Centrino configured mobile units.

Yes..Intel do have better life for battery when idling or when performing light work. But with high load, the greater speed and power consumption of the turion usually make them do more with their battery.

So, for light work, going Intel might do better, but when working harder AMD fits better.
February 2, 2006 9:46:11 PM

Someone asked the same exact question about 3-4 weeks ago. I tell you what I told him.

By the time 64 bit applications, games, and OS's really catch on your laptop will be out of date from a hardware stand point anyways. Windows Vista is being made in both 32 bit and 64 bit flavors. If M$ sticks to their current product cycle, the next OS after Vista won't come out until 2011 at the earliest! At that point, yes, 32bit computing will probably dead or close to it. But so will your laptop, 64 bit or not.

My advice: get what works best for you RIGHT NOW. Don't worry about the frikin future... there's always something new and better on the horizon.

Besides, I don't know of many books or classes teaching C++/Visual Basic in 64 bit. :-)

-mpjesse
!