Sign in with
Your question

partitions on a Raid 1 array

Last response: in Storage
February 2, 2006 6:26:12 PM

Does anybody out there know if I can create two partitions on a Raid 1 (mirroring) array? I currently own Power Quest Partition Magic 7.0. Looking at Symantec website it says Partition Magic 8.0 only supports Raid 0 and 5.

The pair of drives I want to partition are spare (i.e. non-boot) SATA drives. Im running xp pro, and i'm using the nvidia raid controler on my asus a8n deluxe mother board.

Aster

More about : partitions raid array

February 2, 2006 7:09:15 PM

Dude:

First, go to Symantec and get their latest version of PowerQuest's PartitionMagic (Symantec bought PowerQuest over a year ago) so, for registered (licensed) PQ-PM they'll send Symantec PM 8.0 free :) 

Second, don't ever use PartitionMagic on a system using Symantec's GoBack ... it'll totally dork your OS

Third, you can partition/format your RAID array using the MS tools located in Admin Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.

Have fun :D 
February 2, 2006 7:27:09 PM

Quote:

You can partition/format your RAID array using the MS tools located in Admin Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management.

Yes, but you will have to backup the data first! I would say do that anyways because you never know what might go wrong with partition magic.

So, backup your data, create the partitions as you wish, then restore!
!