Internet explorer gone from computer

Tags:
  • Internet Explorer
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
March 23, 2011 9:40:40 PM

Hello,
I believe that my home computer was infected by a virus and I am not able to connect to the internet through explorer or safari, I get the message "windows cannot find c:p rogramfiles"x86"/internet explorer.exe,. make sure you type the name correctly then try again"

what is going on?

More about : internet explorer computer

a b $ Windows 7
March 23, 2011 10:30:01 PM

Well, the application isn't called internet explorer.exe for a start - it's actually iexplore.exe. Also, the correct file path should be c:\program files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

So, whatever virus you had, it's hijacked your shortcuts and networking system to point towards that fake application (more than likely part of the virus).

Go into My Computer and go down the folders as listed above and see what's there are not - you can't actually get rid of Internet Explorer.

Give your system a good clean out using anti virus like Avast, Avira or even Microsoft Security Essentials and see what happens. Malwarebytes is also a great scumware killer.

If nothing still, you could try downloading Internet Explorer from Microsoft and doing a re-install, unless Windows Update catches it and tries to do an update/re-install itself.

But, IE isn't the best browser so you could try something else like Firefox or Chrome.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 24, 2011 1:54:33 AM

Malware and antivirus:

You should download, update and run these programs:

1. Spybot Search and Destroy
2. Malwarebytes
m
l
June 1, 2011 7:16:59 AM

Firefox 4 is much bettar than IE. Use Kaspersky, AVG or AVAST the good trusted antivirus program.
m
l
!