Sign in with
Your question

Just installed 64 bit Win 7 PRO - quick basic question

Last response: in Windows 7
November 5, 2009 1:23:10 AM

So I just installed 64 bit Windows 7 Pro and so far I have to say im very impressed. I do have one question regarding this OS, currently I have 4 Gigs of DDR2 memory installed, would there be any benefit in installing an additional 4 gigs? Keep in mind I primarily use the system for GAMING
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 1:34:26 AM

I say the more ram, the better. In terms of actual frame rates, it probably won't make a big difference, but should keep disk thrashing to a minimum due to less use of the swap file...
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 5:12:22 PM

the current sweet spot for RAM on Windows 7 seems to the 3 x 1gb sticks or 3 x 2gb sticks... anymore and the extra ram / performance ratio is not as great. Though do dear in mind as developers push the system requirements ever higher then more ram will make much more sense.

I would go for the etxra RAM now - seeing as memory prices still seem to be very low compared to a few years back
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 5, 2009 5:30:51 PM

I doubt it very much if you will see any improvement in gaming. You will much better off to keep that money in your account :??:  .

What CPU/ GPU /HDD / Motherboard do you have?
November 6, 2009 1:11:50 AM

CPU = Quad core 6600
GPU = Radeon 4850
HDD = WD SATA 650 gig
November 6, 2009 1:15:10 AM

The_Prophecy said:
I say the more ram, the better. In terms of actual frame rates, it probably won't make a big difference, but should keep disk thrashing to a minimum due to less use of the swap file...

What he said, more memory never a bad thing
November 7, 2009 3:07:58 AM

what speed ...manufacture? memory is still cheap in my book, although ram has gone up a little.
November 8, 2009 12:23:58 AM

WHAT IM ASKING IS - Should I purchase another 4 gigs or IS IT A WASTE OF MONEY?
a c 215 $ Windows 7
November 8, 2009 4:34:52 AM

Madhatter4 said:
WHAT IM ASKING IS - Should I purchase another 4 gigs or IS IT A WASTE OF MONEY?

See my first post in this thread...
a b $ Windows 7
November 9, 2009 10:14:33 AM

Your system spec is alright for time been, it should handle most games comfortably (in some games, with lower resolution/settings).

4GB is more than enough for gaming.

If you are playing games in high resolutions 1920+, consider adding another Radeon 4850 ($110). Check your power supply/mainboard to make sure it can handle the extra GPU. What the highest resolution your monitor supports?
..................................................................................................................................
Is your system overclocked?
!