Just installed 64 bit Win 7 PRO - quick basic question

So I just installed 64 bit Windows 7 Pro and so far I have to say im very impressed. I do have one question regarding this OS, currently I have 4 Gigs of DDR2 memory installed, would there be any benefit in installing an additional 4 gigs? Keep in mind I primarily use the system for GAMING
9 answers Last reply
More about just installed quick basic question
  1. I say the more ram, the better. In terms of actual frame rates, it probably won't make a big difference, but should keep disk thrashing to a minimum due to less use of the swap file...
  2. the current sweet spot for RAM on Windows 7 seems to the 3 x 1gb sticks or 3 x 2gb sticks... anymore and the extra ram / performance ratio is not as great. Though do dear in mind as developers push the system requirements ever higher then more ram will make much more sense.

I would go for the etxra RAM now - seeing as memory prices still seem to be very low compared to a few years back
  3. I doubt it very much if you will see any improvement in gaming. You will much better off to keep that money in your account :??: .

What CPU/ GPU /HDD / Motherboard do you have?
  4. CPU = Quad core 6600
    GPU = Radeon 4850
    HDD = WD SATA 650 gig
  5. The_Prophecy said:
    I say the more ram, the better. In terms of actual frame rates, it probably won't make a big difference, but should keep disk thrashing to a minimum due to less use of the swap file...

What he said, more memory never a bad thing
  6. what speed ...manufacture? memory is still cheap in my book, although ram has gone up a little.
  7. WHAT IM ASKING IS - Should I purchase another 4 gigs or IS IT A WASTE OF MONEY?
  8. Madhatter4 said:
    WHAT IM ASKING IS - Should I purchase another 4 gigs or IS IT A WASTE OF MONEY?

See my first post in this thread...
  9. Your system spec is alright for time been, it should handle most games comfortably (in some games, with lower resolution/settings).

4GB is more than enough for gaming.

If you are playing games in high resolutions 1920+, consider adding another Radeon 4850 ($110). Check your power supply/mainboard to make sure it can handle the extra GPU. What the highest resolution your monitor supports?
    ..................................................................................................................................
    Is your system overclocked?
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Basic