XP service pack 2.. Firewall

August 24, 2004 1:11:28 PM

Hi all,i just installed Service pack 2 and notice that it make positive
announcements that the FIREWALL is now ON.
Does oanyone know if its better than the original XP firewall,and,does it
now Block OUTGOING spyware as well???

Silly Question.....is it as good as Zonealarm please ?

More about : service pack firewall

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:11:29 PM

Hi,

It's better in that it's more configurable, but it still doesn't block
outgoing traffic. It is still a basic firewall, and many will still prefer a
third-party solution (like Zone Alarm).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"C.J." <rredbeak@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,i just installed Service pack 2 and notice that it make positive
> announcements that the FIREWALL is now ON.
> Does oanyone know if its better than the original XP firewall,and,does it
> now Block OUTGOING spyware as well???
>
> Silly Question.....is it as good as Zonealarm please ?

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 2:17:28 PM

Hi

The XP SP2 doesn't monitor outgoing access to the internet. You will need
to install a 3rd party '2-way' Firewall such ZoneAlarm.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"C.J." <rredbeak@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi all,i just installed Service pack 2 and notice that it make positive
> announcements that the FIREWALL is now ON.
> Does oanyone know if its better than the original XP firewall,and,does it
> now Block OUTGOING spyware as well???
>
> Silly Question.....is it as good as Zonealarm please ?

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:08:25 PM

I just installed SP2, and was pleasantly surprised it recognized Zonealarm
as my firewall, and didn't activate its own!
Tom

!