Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What is the most reliable SATA 3.5" LARGE hard-drive?

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2006 1:29:29 AM

Hi Guys.

I am looking for a large (400gb+)SATA drive to hold important data for years.
What is a reliable drive for doing this short of using RAID?
I don't need high performance.
Does SCSI still rule in this area?

thanks!
February 3, 2006 1:45:37 AM

WD makes some good SATA II drives in the 400GB range, with a 3 yr warranty, and they are pretty fast too.
If you want SCSI, they have a 5yr warranty usually, but you would be better off getting a pair of 150 GB Raptors SATA and then creating a partion to envolope two making a fast 300GB drive based on SCSI compenents and a 5 yr warranty also. Pricewise, the two Raptors would cost about that of a Ultra-320 SCSI controller and a 400GB 7200rpm SCSI drive.
February 7, 2006 4:55:34 AM

SEAGATE > WD > The rest >>> Maxtor

I currently am running two SATA seagates in RAID 0 and I'm very happy with them. I have an external WD harddrive that functions very well. My oldest and still running HD is a WD (at least 8 years almost constant running).

I recommend Seagates because they are quite, run fast, have a very long warranty period... and... and... well, they are simply the best in my book.

Maxtor... my brother had one that completely crashed within a year to the point where I couldn't do *anything* to save the data (asside from sending it to those chop shops the pull the data off) - which I didn't do.

I had an IBM harddrive (which I believe now belongs to Samsung???) that functioned well but crapped out after about 3 years.

SCSI is loosing ground now that SATA and especially SATAII has come into the picture. I don't see a long-term future for SCSI. My next HD's will be SATAII's in RAID0. *Seagates of course*
Related resources
Anonymous
August 10, 2010 10:31:40 AM

I had a RAID 0 arrangement in my Mac Pro with 2 x Seagate 1TB drives.

After 6 months, one of the drives failed meaning that I lost everything.

Note to self- use a RAID 5 next time! I am also never going to buy Seagate again.
Anonymous
November 20, 2010 2:58:49 AM

Henrik said:
SEAGATE > WD > The rest >>> Maxtor

I recommend Seagates because they are quite, run fast, have a very long warranty period... and... and... well, they are simply the best in my book.

SCSI is loosing ground now that SATA and especially SATAII has come into the picture. I don't see a long-term future for SCSI. My next HD's will be SATAII's in RAID0. *Seagates of course*

I just has a less than 2 year Seagate fail...and it was because Seagate in their wisdom tought thy needed an extra coating of something they thought would make it more secure...the dang stuff flakes though...and you end up with a "boot failure". I did after an update that needed a reboot. Seagate was gone! In their favor, you can extact data from their drive...but with this being less than 2 years (500G) was SO unacceptable.

Also, the Salvage company getting my data off the drive...said the 2 WORST performers are Seagate and Western Digital...the 2 drives they see the MOST.

So if you commit to using them...BACK UP...redundantly!
Anonymous
November 20, 2010 3:00:16 AM

I also am looking for a reliable SATA drive...seems Samsung may be the answer
November 20, 2010 3:34:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!