Does ATI do "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling"?

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Perhaps this is a non-issue, but to date it seems that ATI never got around to do the "fixed aspect ratio scaling" that nVidia seems to provide by default. This is really nice for those us that use a 19" LCD with the native resolution of 1280x1024, given that there are just some old games and such that don't do 1280x1024. It is kind of disappointing that the x850xt has to suffer some kind of funny distortion when forcing 4:3 on a 5:4 screen. The 6600GT nicely puts two little thin bars, one on top and one on the bottom and scales the 640x480 naturally to 1280x960. Any suggestion and help from the ATI gurus would be greatly appreciated.

rampage

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2005
Your panel should have some form of scaling selection; aspect, fill and 1:1.
If your panel doesnt, that sucks.. I'd get a different panel.

You are correct that Nvidia offers all these options in its drivers.. I'm sure ATI does. I havent used ATI since the 9800 Pro. I prefer the breadth of driver options in the NV set though, if they dont have it.. I'd be switching.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
It would seems that ATI's "scale image to panel size" is not the same, see link

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2824
see ATI's problems:
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2825
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2826

where as nVidia's approach using the thin black bars gets it right
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2827
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2828

BTW, I like to run stuff native at 1280x1024 on the 19" but neither the 9800xt nor 6600gt is going to get acceptable frame rates for doom3 at that resolution where as at 1024x768, with a bit of the black bars the 6600gt comes out ok. And even if the x850xt does fine for now, down the line there will come a time where it will be less than adequate for some new game, and if you can't go down on resolution to get frame rates, then what?

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I'm currently at a fairly recent Catalyst load 5.11/WDM/CP, and I'm using the ATI Control Panel instead of the control center because I don't want the Microsoft dot.net crap installed just to use the Control Center.

In any case I was hoping for a ATI catalyst guru to enlighten me as to if there were any less than obvious windows registry tricks to reveal some hidden panels, like the way the "coolbits" registry settings does for the nVidia cards.

The ATItool app is nice in that it gets me temperature overclocking and such, but it doesn't cover the aspect ratio issue.

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Two weeks later the truth comes out from ATI: and its a "NO"
Customer Care Home Knowledgebase My Support Welcome tim. Sign out | Exit
My History | My Profile | My Tickets | My Products | My Subscriptions
Ticket Details Back Back
Ticket Summary
Ticket #: 737-967545
Date Created: 2/3/2006 9:35 PM EDT
Date Updated: 2/15/2006 3:03 PM EDT

Ticket Description
Type of Inquiry: PC support
Graphics Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Product: Radeon X850 XT AGP 256MB
Bus Type: AGP
Operating System: WINDOWS 2000
Other Operating System:
Driver Version:
Driver Version: CATALYST 5.13
Other Driver Version:
Category: Drivers & Software
Driver Version:
Topic: Installation Procedures
Trade-up to product
(Trade-up FAQ):
Have you moved since submitting the rebate?:
Order number:
Sub-topic:
Multimedia Center Component:
Multimedia Center Version:
Other Multimedia Center Version : No
Other Promotion:
Other Topic:
Vendor:
Application:
Application Name:
Application Version:
Which retailer did you purchase your ATI card from ?:
Offer/ Department #:
Was this purchased over the Internet?:
Other Retailer:
Purchase Date:
Rebate Amount:
New Address
Street Address:
Address 2:
City:
Postal Code / Zip:
Province:
State:
State / Province / Division:
Postal Code:
Zip:
Summary: Does ATI do "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling"?
Details: Perhaps this is a non-issue, but to date it seems that ATI never got around to do the "fixed aspect ratio scaling" that nVidia seems to provide by default. This is really nice for those us that use a 19" LCD with the native resolution of 1280x1024, given that there are just some old games and such that don't do 1280x1024. It is kind of disappointing that the x850xt has to suffer some kind of funny distortion when forcing 4:3 on a 5:4 screen. The 6600GT nicely puts two little thin bars, one on top and one on the bottom and scales the 640x480 naturally to 1280x960. Any suggestion and help from the ATI gurus would be greatly appreciated.
Attachment: None

Solution
Solved:
(2/15/2006 3:03 PM EDT)

> I expect a "yes" or "no" to the question Does ATI do "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling"?

No

Actions

Options
History
Action Date Actions CSRCSR /CustomerCustomer Comment
2/15/2006 3:03 PM EDT Responded CSRRohan D. (See solution)

2/11/2006 4:46 PM EDT Customer Reassigned Customer tim jung This is outrageous. Just what is constitutes "solved". The question was never answered, after a whole week.

I expect a "yes" or "no" to the question Does ATI do "Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling"?

When will I get a truthful answer? Do tell me to go submit some other report, or re-install the driver.

Tell me "yes" or "no". And if the answer is "yes" then what are the steps. What versions of the driver, ati control panel, supports this and which dialog box, registry setting I need to tweak. How hard is it to get a straightforward answer.

If this keeps up, I will never buy another ATI product ever, even if it has the performance advantage.

2/10/2006 3:33 PM EDT Responded CSRRohan D.

To gain more insight into the problem that you are facing we need to have a Problem Report generated.

Please follow the instructions below to generate a problem report :-

=> Go over to https://support.ati.com

=> On the Left side of the screen (Light Grey area) please click on the "+" sign next to "Solve a Problem".

=> Click on the link "Creating a Problem Report"

=> Click on the link "How to create a problem report in Windows"

=> Follow the directions given to “737-1696: How to create a problem report in Windows ”.

=> Please attach the Problem Report to your response.

2/7/2006 12:53 AM EDT Customer Reassigned Customertim jung Am I talking to real person? Is ATI always this screwed up, whether it is their drivers, hardware, or service tech support?

Quit telling me how to install the drivers, as I've done it far too many times already!

In any case please take a look at that following links with the pictures to help you out....
http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=18177

Thanks.

2/3/2006 11:43 PM EDT Posted Comment CSRCustomer Care

[Click here for full email transcript]

2/3/2006 11:40 PM EDT System Ran Alert AR - driver software install

Print this Ticket Back Back