Recommendation for Internet VPN Server machine

Archived from groups: comp.hardware,comp.dcom.vpn (More info?)

Ok Im looking to rebuild and old Pentium 133 to operate as a Server
for an Internet VPN I want to build for my buddys and me for college.
I already know there's NO way a 133's gonna cut it since I like to
think of myself as someone with "moderate" to "advanced" knowledge of
computers. Im no master but I know how to build, operate, maintain and
enhance. So what are your suggestions? Im probably gonna have anywhere
from 2-7 nodes, typically connected at similar times since we are all
staying "local". Here's what I'm thinking:

Motherbaord: Single or Dual Processor, I have no idea
Processor(s): <1.9Mhz
Ram: <1.024Gb
Router:Linksys (NAT Compatible)
OS: W2K Server (Maybe 2003 if I can afford it but probably not)
Physical Memory: >120Gb (Ill be storing alot of reference files and
anything they (the nodes) may need to save)
Video and Sound: Nothing special, what ever $10 PoS's I can find
Modem: I'll porbably be connecting through my current cable modem. Not
to sure what kinda strain that would put on the rest of the network so
any help on that would also be appreciated.

Anything Im forgetting? Im not to sure how the whole charges for a VPN
work so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

eric.elstad@paccar.com (Winter Beast) wrote:
>Ok Im looking to rebuild and old Pentium 133 to operate as a Server
>for an Internet VPN I want to build for my buddys and me for college.
>I already know there's NO way a 133's gonna cut it since I like to
>think of myself as someone with "moderate" to "advanced" knowledge of
>computers. Im no master but I know how to build, operate, maintain and
>enhance. So what are your suggestions? Im probably gonna have anywhere
>from 2-7 nodes, typically connected at similar times since we are all
>staying "local". Here's what I'm thinking:
>
>Motherbaord: Single or Dual Processor, I have no idea
>Processor(s): <1.9Mhz
>Ram: <1.024Gb
>Router:Linksys (NAT Compatible)
>OS: W2K Server (Maybe 2003 if I can afford it but probably not)
>Physical Memory: >120Gb (Ill be storing alot of reference files and
>anything they (the nodes) may need to save)
>Video and Sound: Nothing special, what ever $10 PoS's I can find
>Modem: I'll porbably be connecting through my current cable modem. Not
>to sure what kinda strain that would put on the rest of the network so
>any help on that would also be appreciated.
>
>Anything Im forgetting? Im not to sure how the whole charges for a VPN
>work so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

1024GB ram is definitely sufficient for what you want to do with VPN if
it is not a typo. Even entreprise VPNs dont usually contain such perks.
Is cable modem service generally considered highly unreliable in your
area? Be sure to use a static IP for the concentrator (VPN server).

The leader in Green VPN solutions
http://strongsolutions.addr.com/