HELP EXTERNAL DRIVE PROBLEM!!!

i just installed xp service pack 2, and although this may not be the root of
my problem, i thought i would let u know what i was working with. i installed
a maxtor one touch IEEE 1394 SBP2 DEVICE on my pc. i never had any problems
with it, but now my system doesnt recognise it. when i go to open a shrtcut
to the drive, from my drsktop, i get this message prompt. " g:\america
online 9,0.exe, or any other link to that drive from my desktop
(Windows CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE. YOU ,MAY NOT HAVE
THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS TO ACCESS THEM)

PLESASE TELL ME WHERE TO GO FROM HERE, I HAVE READ EVERY THING I COULD TO FIX
IT, TO NO AVAIL.

dtaylor

darryn please do not start a new thread as that will only confuse those of
us trying to help you. Be patient.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

darryn taylor wrote:
> i just installed xp service pack 2, and although this may not be the
> root of my problem, i thought i would let u know what i was working
> with. i installed a maxtor one touch IEEE 1394 SBP2 DEVICE on my pc.
> i never had any problems with it, but now my system doesnt recognise
> it. when i go to open a shrtcut to the drive, from my drsktop, i get
> this message prompt. " g:\america online 9,0.exe, or any other link
> to that drive from my desktop (Windows CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED
> DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE. YOU ,MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS
> TO ACCESS THEM)
>
> PLESASE TELL ME WHERE TO GO FROM HERE, I HAVE READ EVERY THING I
> COULD TO FIX IT, TO NO AVAIL.
>
> dtaylor
Some comments:
a. First, you state you are connected to the One Touch via FireWire
(IEEE1394). Like USB, this is an alive connection only. In plain words, the
device must turned for Windows to even recognize that the device exists. The
Maxtor One Touch has an ON/OFF Switch just above the Plug at the back. Look
at the front of the device, if the Blue Light is constantly on OR flashing
the swith is on. If not, the device is switched off and no shortcut from
nowhere can accomplish anything since Windows does not know the device
exixts (read the preceding).
b. I am guessing that the device is not switched on. TURN IT ON!!
Gene K

hi gene,
thanks for responding. i did check to make sure the device was turned on
:). i am able to view, the contents from the drive in explorer, but i have
loaded several programs, on the drive to save the space, from my main
harddrive. the shortcut links from the desk, are where i am getting the error
message from. even when i open the folders in the drive, and click on the exe
file from there, i get the same message. i am at a loss at this point :(

"Gene K" wrote:

> darryn taylor wrote:
> > i just installed xp service pack 2, and although this may not be the
> > root of my problem, i thought i would let u know what i was working
> > with. i installed a maxtor one touch IEEE 1394 SBP2 DEVICE on my pc.
> > i never had any problems with it, but now my system doesnt recognise
> > it. when i go to open a shrtcut to the drive, from my drsktop, i get
> > this message prompt. " g:\america online 9,0.exe, or any other link
> > to that drive from my desktop (Windows CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED
> > DEVICE, PATH, OR FILE. YOU ,MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSIONS
> > TO ACCESS THEM)
> >
> > PLESASE TELL ME WHERE TO GO FROM HERE, I HAVE READ EVERY THING I
> > COULD TO FIX IT, TO NO AVAIL.
> >
> > dtaylor
> Some comments:
> a. First, you state you are connected to the One Touch via FireWire
> (IEEE1394). Like USB, this is an alive connection only. In plain words, the
> device must turned for Windows to even recognize that the device exists. The
> Maxtor One Touch has an ON/OFF Switch just above the Plug at the back. Look
> at the front of the device, if the Blue Light is constantly on OR flashing
> the swith is on. If not, the device is switched off and no shortcut from
> nowhere can accomplish anything since Windows does not know the device
> exixts (read the preceding).
> b. I am guessing that the device is not switched on. TURN IT ON!!
> Gene K

martin

Hello darryn,
I have exactly the same problem I am using a Freecom FX50 external firewire
DVD writer.
After installing SP2 all the programs who are access the DVD are freesing.
I opened the firewall for ieee 1394 without any result.
I shutdown the whole firewall, no result.
the only suguestion i have for you is try a earlier upgrade search for
q329256_WXP_SP2
this is a firewire upgrade, it helped for me after installing SP1.
Let me know if you found a solution.

Thanks Martin. Netherlands.