Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ATI Video Card On A SLI Motherboard HELP

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 3, 2006 3:47:17 AM

I got a Asus SlI board as a gift. Before I knew that I was getting this board I ordered a Sapphire x1900 XTX.
My question is will the ATI card run on the Nvidia Chipset. I am only running one card and I know that SLI and Crossfire are two different systems.
Just need to know if I can run this one ATI card on this SLI motherboard.
February 3, 2006 3:59:45 AM

That's a great question! I really have no idea, but taking a guess, it 'shouldn't' work, it's got an NForce 4 Chipset... Let's see what the other guys say tho.
February 3, 2006 4:01:24 AM

Good to see that I am not the only one who does not know lol
Related resources
February 3, 2006 4:04:07 AM

Single card will run games like butter.
February 3, 2006 5:42:44 AM

I have no idea since ATI and Nvidia are arch rival when it comes to graphics card. But it's pretty interesting though, ATI card on a Nforce4 chipset motherboard. Let us know if you have tried to put it together. If it does somehow work but then again getting a crossfire configuration would be impossible.
Can u like return your mobo or the card or try it at least.

note: it might explode knowing the heated compitetion with ATI and Nvidia.
February 3, 2006 6:06:03 AM

It will work fine, Im running an ati card on an nf4 board

Like you said the only thing you can not do is run a crossfire set up on it.

I expect most ati amd owners are running on a NF4 board as its the NF4 boards are the best there is for AMDs.

There would be no point in it not working, why would they try and exclude 50% of the market from using the NF4 there would be no point.
February 3, 2006 6:34:21 AM

Quote:
It will work fine, Im running an ati card on an nf4 board

Like you said the only thing you can not do is run a crossfire set up on it.

I expect most ati amd owners are running on a NF4 board as its the NF4 boards are the best there is for AMDs.

There would be no point in it not working, why would they try and exclude 50% of the market from using the NF4 there would be no point.


Exactly. The same goes for ATI Xpress chipsets. You can run NVidia cards on them just fine, though I'm not sure if any ATI Xpress boards support SLI.

Basically, chipsets are just another manufacturing sector for Nvidia and ATI to duke it out in. Other chipset manufacturers include Intel and VIA. ULi was recently gobbled up by Nvidia.
February 3, 2006 6:35:39 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Will have to wait and see when the card arrives. If it gives me grief I am going with a Sapphire Crossfire motherboard.
February 3, 2006 6:45:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Will have to wait and see when the card arrives. If it gives me grief I am going with a Sapphire Crossfire motherboard.


That's great. Just note that 'grief' may not necessarily be indicative of compatability issues. Make sure you get all the right drivers in place before making up your mind. ;) 
February 3, 2006 7:31:11 AM

Quote:
I got a Asus SlI board as a gift. Before I knew that I was getting this board I ordered a Sapphire x1900 XTX.
My question is will the ATI card run on the Nvidia Chipset. I am only running one card and I know that SLI and Crossfire are two different systems.
Just need to know if I can run this one ATI card on this SLI motherboard.



Geeezus men!

What MoBo chipset has to do with with ATi or nVidia chipset on GRAPHIC card?

Every MoBo and Graphic card is built to specifications.

Every card MoBo and Graphic card is in compliance with the required well defined specification for CPU, RAM (SDRAM, DDR, DDR 2, DDR 3 or newer tobe soon available) , power supply, all ports (PCI, AGP, or PCI Express) an all cards with given socket / PORT connector are compatible and interchangeable for all MoBo / Graphic cards.

So consequently it is irrelevant what chipset has graphic card as long as the card has the proper PORT / PLUG, and or proper power supply (integrated in plug or external dedicated from CPU itself ).

SOME cards might not work if the MoBo or Graphic card voltage is incompatible or restricted usualy by the motherboard (i.e 3.3 V only or 5 V only - on some equipment (ie. ASUS SK8N nVidia socket 940 with nForce 3 - AGP).

The Graphic card has the slots in the card plug in which "specifies" the voltage.

My RIG:
________________________________________________
Lian Li PC 602 black
Enermax 600 W Eg 701 Noisetaker 24 pin
ASUS A8N SLI Premium (dual RAID - 8 SATA ports) 939 (with external extended 2 SATA ports))
Athlon 64 4800+ 2X (stock AMD fan GOOD enough!) 929
(2 x 512) PC3200 DDR400 OCZ 1024ELDCGE-K (2-2-2-5-1T @ 2.8 Volts) 184 pin
ASUS ATi X700-X PCI Express
Plextor PX-716 DVD +/_ RW
Plextor Premium CD RW
SB Audigy 4 PRO
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
19" View Sonic LCD
LiteOn DVD 16 x
PROXIM AP 4000,
PROXIM PCI 802.11 a/b/g
8 x 250 GB Hitachi SATA 10 (300)
2 x 60 G PATA Western Digital (old stock)
(no floppy)
Zippy EL-715
Logitech Di noVo Desktop Bluetooth (laser)
HP LaserJet 4350TN
HP DeskJet 9680
(OS on each dedicated drive - booted by selected drive through the chage of boot drive in the BIOS )
LINUX Red Hat 9
Knoppix 4.02 on CD
Windows 200 PRO
WINDOWS XP PRO
(waiting for 64 bit VISTA)
IBM (LENOVO) notebook on 802.11 a/b/g
Nero 7.02B (NO to ROXIO!)

Other:
remote controled microwave oven powered by INTEL P4 chips
February 3, 2006 1:40:09 PM

of course you can, though ATI chipset cannot support nVidia cards very well sometimes
February 3, 2006 4:30:21 PM

Quote:

My RIG:
________________________________________________
Lian Li PC 602 black
Enermax 600 W Eg 701 Noisetaker 24 pin
ASUS A8N SLI Premium (dual RAID - 8 SATA ports) 939 (with external extended 2 SATA ports))
Athlon 64 4800+ 2X (stock AMD fan GOOD enough!) 929
(2 x 512) PC3200 DDR400 OCZ 1024ELDCGE-K (2-2-2-5-1T @ 2.8 Volts) 184 pin
ASUS ATi X700-X PCI Express
Plextor PX-716 DVD +/_ RW
Plextor Premium CD RW
SB Audigy 4 PRO
Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
19" View Sonic LCD
LiteOn DVD 16 x
PROXIM AP 4000,
PROXIM PCI 802.11 a/b/g
8 x 250 GB Hitachi SATA 10 (300)
2 x 60 G PATA Western Digital (old stock)
(no floppy)
Zippy EL-715
Logitech Di noVo Desktop Bluetooth (laser)
HP LaserJet 4350TN
HP DeskJet 9680
(OS on each dedicated drive - booted by selected drive through the chage of boot drive in the BIOS )
LINUX Red Hat 9
Knoppix 4.02 on CD
Windows 200 PRO
WINDOWS XP PRO
(waiting for 64 bit VISTA)
IBM (LENOVO) notebook on 802.11 a/b/g
Nero 7.02B (NO to ROXIO!)

Other:
remote controled microwave oven powered by INTEL P4 chips


:lol:  TMI
February 3, 2006 5:39:20 PM

Quote:
of course you can, though ATI chipset cannot support nVidia cards very well sometimes


What do you mean? Provide an example of what you're insinuating.
February 3, 2006 5:41:24 PM

If they can't shame on nVidia! for making defective merchandice ;) 
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2006 6:10:01 PM

Yes, you can happily run a single ATI card in an SLI board...

But don't expect Nvidia to start supporting Crossfie anytime soon! :-)
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2006 6:11:47 PM

"though I'm not sure if any ATI Xpress boards support SLI. "

ATI does NOT support SLI... :-)
February 3, 2006 7:40:52 PM

Quote:
actually the flexibility of ATI's crossfire, it can be run on a SLI board, with some tweaking....

Here are some performance numbers....not on xfire on a sli board, tho...

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=cfvssli&...


Actually, to me it looks like they're using separate motherboards in this article. One which supports SLI for the Nvidia cards, and one which supports crossfire for the ATI cards. Anyone else seeing that?

Testbeds on this page:
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=cfvssli&...
February 3, 2006 9:42:25 PM

I see how it seemed misleading, what I meant was here is a comparison showing how XF scales well, it was not xf running on a SLI board, tho...
February 4, 2006 1:47:58 AM

Quote:
What do you mean? Provide an example of what you're insinuating.


on ATi Radeon Xpress 200 chipeset with Ncards, errors occur when running 3D applications. read it on the net, not sure whether it's true or not. you can check it on the net, or try it yourself
February 4, 2006 2:39:59 AM

i don't think ati is stupid enough to design a chipset that does not work with nvidia cards, that would get a ton of people angry at them
February 4, 2006 2:45:53 AM

i don't think either. maybe it's a bug? ati chipset is not as good as others
February 4, 2006 3:00:08 AM

it will work on and some dfi baords can be hacked to use sli on the n4 ultra version you will probably need the first version of the dfi n4 ultra mobo cause the first n4 ultra chips were n4 sli with it disabled in the manufactering process by the mobo maker i heard you need a master n4 bios disk and u need some good hacking skills!
February 4, 2006 3:15:11 AM

It will never work. Send me that worthless 1900 and I'll trade you for a nice 7800 GT that will work perfect with your nForce MB. :twisted:
February 4, 2006 3:44:03 AM

Quote:
It will never work. Send me that worthless 1900 and I'll trade you for a nice 7800 GT that will work perfect with your nForce MB. :twisted:

Hmmm let me thinl about that.....NOT! I yake it your in to Metallica.
February 4, 2006 3:50:35 AM

how the hell do you get that many posts all of a sudden in one day, holy shit, not saying stop, just asking
February 4, 2006 3:55:14 AM

8O 243 posts per day! :roll:
February 4, 2006 4:27:12 AM

can someone please explain to me why amd + nvidia chipset = good performance? thanks in advance.
February 4, 2006 4:51:34 AM

Same reasons ATI + ATI = even better performance [/shrugs]
Would the one that crashes first be the winner, or the one that crashed slower? :lol: 
February 4, 2006 5:19:14 PM

Of coarse man....

That 1900X ATI card is the best out currently..... and YES you can install that card into a SLI ASUS board... and you will get amazing performance without problems.

The compatibility issue only comes into play if you want to run more than 1 video card in the SLI configuration. A waste of time and money if you ask me.

That 1900 should more than be enough for a while...
!