Sign in with
Your question

New CPU in Existing Mobo

Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2006 3:49:43 AM

I am upgrading my year-old PC and am delving into doing the work myself for the first time. I'd like to know what CPU's I can replace my current one with.
Currently I am running an ASUS P4C-800-E mobo with an Intel Pentium 4 2.4A Prescott 533MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Model #: BX80546PE2400E.
I'd like to know if I can replace it with an Intel Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Model #: BX80546PG3200E. Is there anything bigger/better/faster than this CPU I could use instead (something with HT or 64 bit support)?
I'm assuming I am limited to socket 478 CPU's, is this true? Can I simply take out the old CPU, replace it and my heatsink/fan and plug in a new one? Basically I want to maximize my performance on on my existing computer until: 1) AMD comes out with their "final answer" on how they're going to do dual-core processor's and 2) I switch over to an SLI/PCI-E mobo. Thanks, Take it easy. - CJ :D 

More about : cpu existing mobo

February 3, 2006 5:09:38 AM

Yes, your board supports all s478 chips. Rather than getting a prescott (P4E) try first to find a northwood 800fsb chip (P4C). They were made at up tp 3.4ghz. They run a little cooler than thier prescott brothers, but give similar perf.
There are no adaptors that support the use of s775 to your board, however, Asus does make an adaptor to use Intel PM chips (s479) on that board. The cost of a comperable PM chip is rather high.
AFAIK Intel has not brought out a s478 chip that supports 64 bit processing, however, there is little to no advantage to it on Intel at this time.
Related resources
February 3, 2006 9:07:41 AM

Quote:
I am upgrading my year-old PC and am delving into doing the work myself for the first time. I'd like to know what CPU's I can replace my current one with.
Currently I am running an ASUS P4C-800-E mobo with an Intel Pentium 4 2.4A Prescott 533MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Model #: BX80546PE2400E.
I'd like to know if I can replace it with an Intel Pentium 4 3.2E Prescott 800MHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 478 Processor - Model #: BX80546PG3200E. Is there anything bigger/better/faster than this CPU I could use instead (something with HT or 64 bit support)?
I'm assuming I am limited to socket 478 CPU's, is this true? Can I simply take out the old CPU, replace it and my heatsink/fan and plug in a new one? Basically I want to maximize my performance on on my existing computer until: 1) AMD comes out with their "final answer" on how they're going to do dual-core processor's and 2) I switch over to an SLI/PCI-E mobo. Thanks, Take it easy. - CJ :D 

Don't waste money on INTEL, or you will regret soon.

Rather wait for AMD AM2 socket and replace the entire rig with AMD 64 X2 !

Intel as far as many are concewrned is already DONE with their crap!

Pentium are good for arctic climate, you can save lots of money - no need for house heating!
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2006 10:49:52 AM

OVERCLOCK IT!!!!!!!!!!
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2006 11:28:12 AM

Agreed, look for a socket 478 3.0 or 3.2 Northwood core...cooler and faster than the Prescott at equivalent clocks...

(A friend has his 3.0 NW running at 3.6 with no problems....)
February 3, 2006 12:33:54 PM

I've looked at most of the top e-stores and can't find any good northwoods. The best I could find is 3.2E(prescott.) That could be clocked to 4.0 with good cooling. For just $230 there is no way you can biuld a more powerfull computer, after all your motherboard is one of the best 478 boards made.

Used Northwoods
!