Terrain installation question

I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to the
server.

My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config file)
with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order not
important?

Thanks in advance.

Try this. Put the bigger area lower on the screen (higher numbers) and the
smaller the item, higher in the screen. If you have photo real scenery
along with a downloaded scenery, put the photo scenery lower on the screen
(higher number).

Think of the higher numbers as the broad picture and the lower numbers as
the detail. Or think of it as overlays. You want the photo real scenery to
show through the gaps where Toni put the buildings, so you put give the
photo real scenery a higher number.

Thinking along those lines, US landclass should have a higher number then
the SE US mesh from Justin, because it covers the whole US and the SE mesh a
smaller portion of it (yes, I know, if you add all the meshes it is still
the whole US but each individual mesh is a smaller piece of the puzzle then
the US landclass, which is like the cardboard with the outline of the puzzle
pieces on it that your kid uses to help him see where the pieces go.

Was that clear as mud?
"kingsnake11" <kingsnake11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to the
> server.
>
> My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
> scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config
file)
> with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order not
> important?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Well, two other guys disagree with me. I'm writing from the office and
don't have the ability to check and see how I've done it at home. You will
probably find some good instructions on the FSGenesis site, otherwise I'll
look into it and post how I have it later tonight. Until then, either take
someone else's advice or don't do anything. <grin>

"Jay Williams" <jay@jwilliamslaw.com> wrote in message
> Try this. Put the bigger area lower on the screen (higher numbers) and
the
> smaller the item, higher in the screen. If you have photo real scenery
> along with a downloaded scenery, put the photo scenery lower on the screen
> (higher number).
>
> Think of the higher numbers as the broad picture and the lower numbers as
> the detail. Or think of it as overlays. You want the photo real scenery
> show through the gaps where Toni put the buildings, so you put give the
> photo real scenery a higher number.
>
> Thinking along those lines, US landclass should have a higher number then
> the SE US mesh from Justin, because it covers the whole US and the SE mesh
> smaller portion of it (yes, I know, if you add all the meshes it is still
> the whole US but each individual mesh is a smaller piece of the puzzle
then
> the US landclass, which is like the cardboard with the outline of the
puzzle
> pieces on it that your kid uses to help him see where the pieces go.
>
> Was that clear as mud?
> "kingsnake11" <kingsnake11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to
the
> > server.
> >
> > My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
> > scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config
> file)
> > with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order not
> > important?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

GREGORY

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 17:20:27 GMT, "kingsnake11"
<kingsnake11@hotmail.com> brought the following to our attention:

>I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to the
>server.
>
>My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
>scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config file)
>with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order not
>important?
>
>Thanks in advance.

have a look at this tutorial..

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/ah4/ah4.htm

and maybe this one..

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/scen.htm

rather outdated but still useful reading.

-G

It did come up before and you got two answers.

Cheers,

Quilly

Jay

thanks for the answer. I'll hang on and do nothing :) Better to wait than
to screw things up :)

> Well, two other guys disagree with me. I'm writing from the office and
> don't have the ability to check and see how I've done it at home. You
> will
> probably find some good instructions on the FSGenesis site, otherwise I'll
> look into it and post how I have it later tonight. Until then, either
> take
> someone else's advice or don't do anything. <grin>

Thanks Quilljar, but for some reason, I don't see my first attempt or the
replies on my news server :-( and that is why I asked again :)

> It did come up before and you got two answers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly

Hi Kingsnake,

As far as terrain mesh goes, you'll probably find someone who will disagree
with me, but I've never seen much sense in prioritizing terrain mesh, since
the terrain engine does it automatically on the fly in nearly all cases. If
you get all your terrain from one trusted source, just put it all in with
the default terrain and forget about it.

Some like to tinker, turn stuff on and off, compare, and whatnot, and
putting different terrain in different folders might make some sense for
those simmers so they can have an easy way to turn stuff on and off. But if
you just like to install and fly, putting it all in \scenery\world\scenery
will serve you well in nearly all cases. You might keep a notebook record
of your installations for future reference if desired for possible future
troubleshooting.

In other words, with few qualifications, prioritizing terrain mesh using the
scenery library doesn't matter.

Hope this helps

Justin\FSG

"kingsnake11" <kingsnake11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to the
>server.
>
> My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
> scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config
> file) with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order
> not important?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Justin
thanks for the info!

"FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
> Hi Kingsnake,
>
> As far as terrain mesh goes, you'll probably find someone who will
> disagree with me, but I've never seen much sense in prioritizing terrain
> mesh, since the terrain engine does it automatically on the fly in nearly
> all cases. If you get all your terrain from one trusted source, just put
> it all in with the default terrain and forget about it.
>
> Some like to tinker, turn stuff on and off, compare, and whatnot, and
> putting different terrain in different folders might make some sense for
> those simmers so they can have an easy way to turn stuff on and off. But
> if you just like to install and fly, putting it all in
> \scenery\world\scenery will serve you well in nearly all cases. You might
> keep a notebook record of your installations for future reference if
> desired for possible future troubleshooting.
>
> In other words, with few qualifications, prioritizing terrain mesh using
> the scenery library doesn't matter.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Justin\FSG
>
> "kingsnake11" <kingsnake11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to the
>>server.
>>
>> My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
>> scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config
>> file) with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order
>> not important?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Well, all my landclass (except something called "missoula landclass" that I
don't recall every installing) and my mesh are from Justin. I installed it
about a year ago according to his instructions and don't see separate
entries in the scenery library. Quite frankly, he's forgotten more about
this stuff then I'll ever know, so I'd do it his way (and apparently I did
<grin>).

Everything else, I install with the smaller, more detailed item higher on
the screen (lower number), but I can be a bit obsessive about organization
and it is not impossible that I have it exactly backwards.

> Justin
> thanks for the info!
>
> "FSGenesis" <justinHATESSPAM@fsgenesis.comNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> Hi Kingsnake,
>>
>> As far as terrain mesh goes, you'll probably find someone who will
>> disagree with me, but I've never seen much sense in prioritizing terrain
>> mesh, since the terrain engine does it automatically on the fly in nearly
>> all cases. If you get all your terrain from one trusted source, just put
>> it all in with the default terrain and forget about it.
>>
>> Some like to tinker, turn stuff on and off, compare, and whatnot, and
>> putting different terrain in different folders might make some sense for
>> those simmers so they can have an easy way to turn stuff on and off. But
>> if you just like to install and fly, putting it all in
>> \scenery\world\scenery will serve you well in nearly all cases. You
>> might keep a notebook record of your installations for future reference
>> if desired for possible future troubleshooting.
>>
>> In other words, with few qualifications, prioritizing terrain mesh using
>> the scenery library doesn't matter.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Justin\FSG
>>
>> "kingsnake11" <kingsnake11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I posted this question before but fro some reason it didn't make it to
>>>the server.
>>>
>>> My questions is: What is the order for installing scenery? Does mesh
>>> scenery get lowest priority ( ie, highest number in the scenery config
>>> file) with landclass next, and then finally regular scenery, or is order
>>> not important?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

GREGORY

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 13:38:58 -0500, "Jay Williams"
<jay@jwilliamslaw.com> brought the following to our attention:

>Try this. Put the bigger area lower on the screen (higher numbers) and the
>smaller the item, higher in the screen. If you have photo real scenery
>along with a downloaded scenery, put the photo scenery lower on the screen
>(higher number).

It seems every time one thinks it's all figured out, they get confused
aGaiN. Maybe it would be useful to write the CFG inverted as follows..
with the base layer at the bottom:

[Area.007] , Land Class, Layer=7

[Area.006] , Terrain Mesh, Layer=6

[Area.005] , Time Zones , Layer=5 < ?

[Area.004] , Additional Facility Data , Layer=4

[Area.003] , Airport and Facilities Data , Layer=3

[Area.002] , Default Scenery , Layer=2

[Area.001] , Default Terrain , Layer=1

From the HELP section.. it matters when using the FLATTEN switch where
Scenery is affected with LOWER layer numbers. Example: if the FLATTEN
statement is place in Layer 50.. then only layers 49 and below are
affected. Switches are added to the Scenery area entry. Also EXCLUDE
entries can be added. } See.. MoreFS.PDF doc in HELP folder.

-Gregory

p.s. so now let's think it over some more.. and perhaps rearrange!!

>Think of the higher numbers as the broad picture and the lower numbers as
>the detail. Or think of it as overlays. You want the photo real scenery to
>show through the gaps where Toni put the buildings, so you put give the
>photo real scenery a higher number.
>
>Thinking along those lines, US landclass should have a higher number then
>the SE US mesh from Justin, because it covers the whole US and the SE mesh a
>smaller portion of it (yes, I know, if you add all the meshes it is still
>the whole US but each individual mesh is a smaller piece of the puzzle then
>the US landclass, which is like the cardboard with the outline of the puzzle
>pieces on it that your kid uses to help him see where the pieces go.
>
>Was that clear as mud?

Yes.. :)