FYI SP2 download causing computer lockups

Turned on the computer this morning ,and every 20 or 30 seconds it would
freeze up requiring a softboot to get it going again. Finally I saw in
Windows Task Manager that automatic update was consuming nearly 100% of the
CPU available. I turned off automatic update, set it to notify me of update
,but not to download or install. Rebooted, and it did not freeze up. Then
I was notified I had updates pending down load. I proceeded with download
and 10 minutes I was advised that SP2 was downloaded and ready to install.

Now I am hesitant to install SP2 as I have been reading of the problems it
is causing on some computers. Whatever happened to the days of turning on
your computer of a morning and working all day without spending all your
time trying to figure out what to or not to fix next?
6 answers Last reply
More about download causing computer lockups

    "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Turned on the computer this morning ,and every 20 or 30 seconds it would
    > freeze up requiring a softboot to get it going again. Finally I saw in
    > Windows Task Manager that automatic update was consuming nearly 100% of
    the
    > CPU available. I turned off automatic update, set it to notify me of
    update
    > ,but not to download or install. Rebooted, and it did not freeze up.
    Then
    > I was notified I had updates pending down load. I proceeded with download
    > and 10 minutes I was advised that SP2 was downloaded and ready to install.
    >
    > Now I am hesitant to install SP2 as I have been reading of the problems it
    > is causing on some computers. Whatever happened to the days of turning on
    > your computer of a morning and working all day without spending all your
    > time trying to figure out what to or not to fix next?

    Can we have some posts about positive experiences with the installation of
    SP2 please. It's looking kinda scary from reading the posts in this forum.

    I stumbled across this today. If you are interested in SP2 you might want
    to read. Lots of stuff here and I am still in the process of reading.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/index.htm

    "QWERTY" <i@i.com.au> wrote in message

    > "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Turned on the computer this morning ,and every 20 or 30 seconds it would
    > > freeze up requiring a softboot to get it going again. Finally I saw in
    > > Windows Task Manager that automatic update was consuming nearly 100% of
    > the
    > > CPU available. I turned off automatic update, set it to notify me of
    > update
    > > ,but not to download or install. Rebooted, and it did not freeze up.
    > Then
    > > I was notified I had updates pending down load. I proceeded with
    download
    > > and 10 minutes I was advised that SP2 was downloaded and ready to
    install.

    > > Now I am hesitant to install SP2 as I have been reading of the problems
    it
    > > is causing on some computers. Whatever happened to the days of turning
    on
    > > your computer of a morning and working all day without spending all your
    > > time trying to figure out what to or not to fix next?
    > >

    > Can we have some posts about positive experiences with the installation of
    > SP2 please. It's looking kinda scary from reading the posts in this forum.

    Before installing SP2 on my daughter's laptop running XP Home, I deleted
    temps and cookies, AV scan, adaware, spybot, defragged, closed all other
    programs. The install went without a hitch. The only problem I encountered
    was getting her wireless connection to work. I got an "Invalid IP address"
    message. I tried repair and windows explorer wanted to access the internet,
    I told it no. The repair didn't work so I did all the "newbie"
    stuff....uninstall, reinstall, etc. still no go. I tried the repair again
    and this time let windows explorer connect and Voila it was fixed and she
    was online. <sigh> Wish I knew why win explorer needs to access the
    internet. Would have saved me some time.

    QWERTY wrote:
    > "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Turned on the computer this morning ,and every 20 or 30 seconds it
    >> would freeze up requiring a softboot to get it going again. Finally
    >> I saw in Windows Task Manager that automatic update was consuming
    >> nearly 100% of the CPU available. I turned off automatic update,
    >> set it to notify me of update ,but not to download or install.
    >> Rebooted, and it did not freeze up. Then I was notified I had
    >> updates pending down load. I proceeded with download and 10 minutes
    >> I was advised that SP2 was downloaded and ready to install.
    >>
    >> Now I am hesitant to install SP2 as I have been reading of the
    >> problems it is causing on some computers. Whatever happened to the
    >> days of turning on your computer of a morning and working all day
    >> without spending all your time trying to figure out what to or not
    >> to fix next?
    >>

    > Can we have some posts about positive experiences with the
    > installation of SP2 please. It's looking kinda scary from reading the
    > posts in this forum.

    Here is a positive one! Had only a couple of minor problems which I may have
    caused [I do not qualify for the "brightest in the building" nor the "think
    before you act" awards nor frankly the "throughly read all the instructions
    first" award either] my self.
    --
    Gene K

    QWERTY wrote:

    > Can we have some posts about positive experiences with the
    > installation of SP2 please. It's looking kinda scary from reading the
    > posts in this forum.

    Certainly. I installed the Network Download on a three-year old Toshiba
    Tecra 9000 ( 30GB HDD and 768MB RAM) with NO problems whatsoever. All my
    apps (Office 2002) seem to be working perfectly OK!

    "Gene K" <genekRE@MOVEolivianc.net> wrote in message
    > QWERTY wrote:
    >> "Jmax" <Jmax((XSPAM)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Turned on the computer this morning ,and every 20 or 30 seconds it
    >>> would freeze up requiring a softboot to get it going again. Finally
    >>> I saw in Windows Task Manager that automatic update was consuming
    >>> nearly 100% of the CPU available. I turned off automatic update,
    >>> set it to notify me of update ,but not to download or install.
    >>> Rebooted, and it did not freeze up. Then I was notified I had
    >>> updates pending down load. I proceeded with download and 10 minutes
    >>> I was advised that SP2 was downloaded and ready to install.
    >>>
    >>> Now I am hesitant to install SP2 as I have been reading of the
    >>> problems it is causing on some computers. Whatever happened to the
    >>> days of turning on your computer of a morning and working all day
    >>> without spending all your time trying to figure out what to or not
    >>> to fix next?

    >> Can we have some posts about positive experiences with the
    >> installation of SP2 please. It's looking kinda scary from reading the
    >> posts in this forum.
    >
    > Here is a positive one! Had only a couple of minor problems which I may
    > have caused [I do not qualify for the "brightest in the building" nor the
    > "think before you act" awards nor frankly the "throughly read all the
    > instructions first" award either] my self.
    > --
    > Gene K

    Completed my update this afternoon with no problems whatsover. 40 minutes
    to download then around 20 to install. I think I have tried out most of my
    software plus printer and, so far so good.

Download Computers Windows XP