Harddisk Tempurature?

eyimbo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hey Hey!

I'm two harddrives On raid 0 stacked one on top of the other in a shuttle, I.E. I have no choice! But i'll tell you it does get so Hot! I can barely pick it up with my fingers! is this wrong, are my drive simply gonna melt away? should i be worried?

P.S. i'm running a shuttle meaning i have absolutly no room and no ventalation.

P.P.S. Who's tom in tomshardware?

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Most hard drives are meant to operate at temperatures under approx 55C (depends on particular model and type).

Sounds like your's are running near that.
What is the make/model of the drives ?

You have no free drivebays or PCI slot ? (click me !)

Comas

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Download some temperature monitoring program (e.g Speedfan) and keep an eye does it go much over 50C.

When things get hot they expand and aparently when hdds get too hot they expand enough so the gap between the heads and the platter is slightly less and may cause excessive ware (at a faster rate then normal), on the other hand i got a free old computer from a mate who threw out an old P2 with 2 quantum fireball 4gb hdd's - they get extremely hot (fireball is a good name lol) but they lasted for years, but i wouldnt like my hdds to live like that.

What brand hdd's you got anyhow?

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
I have to 74Gb WD Raptors that run between 28°C ~ 33°C, I have never seen them get any higher than 33°C, they are in an Antec P180 with a front 120MM blowing on them, and I used the temp sensors from an Antec HDD Cooler (I removed the fans and just use the faceplate for temps)

eyimbo

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Hello all! it seems fine now that i've felt them with my fingers they are two WD SE 80GB carviers on Raid 0 and punching out 90MB/s!! i'm happy now, i was worried because my seagate baracuda kinda died because of heat! i've sent it back to seagate and woo! within two days they are shipping a new or fixed one for me, not bad now i can have a separate disk for my MP3s, not so often used programs and some cough cough movies... cough... nothing doggy... it's all natural. thanx guys!